Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Data on patients going into afib post-Watchman procedure.

Posted by Rob Wilson 
Data on patients going into afib post-Watchman procedure.
January 08, 2022 01:02PM
I'm curious to know if there is any publicly available data showing the number of patients who were in NSR prior to the Watchman procedure going into afib post-Watchman procedure.
Ken
Re: Data on patients going into afib post-Watchman procedure.
January 08, 2022 01:36PM
Rob,

Just to be clear, a Watchman would only be an option after the atrial appendage had been ablated and NSR was achieved after the ablation. Then a Watchman was installed and afib returned. Of course, afib could also return after an atrial appendage ablation even without a Watchman being installed with the patient on a blood thinner, so it would be difficult to determine the cause of the afib returning.

Essentially, the stats you are looking for may not exist.
January 08, 2022 06:47PM
I agree with Ken that that data probably doesn't exist. That's something that would have been a big red flag in the early Watchman clinical trials, so the fact that it isn't mentioned says it probably just doesn't happen. After regulatory approval, patients and EPs would quickly notice such a coincidence and they haven't, so it's not a question that's likely to get much research attention now. Anecdotally, among the dozen or so Watchman recipients I know, none have experienced a recurrence.

That said, could someone with a Watchman develop afib again? Sure, afib is a progressive disease and the Watchman doesn't prevent afib. But if afib does reappear, at least you're protected from stoke beginning with the very first erratic beat.
January 08, 2022 08:03PM
Not all watchman recipients are ablatees. I have a friend, now 85, who was in longstanding persistent afib a few years ago. His cardio suggested a Watchman. I told him to go ahead and get it and he did. He's still persistent.
January 08, 2022 08:10PM
George:

What would be the purpose of your friend getting a Watchman, I assume he is on a blood thinner and would still be on a blood thinner. I am surprised that his ins. would pay for the Watchman.
January 08, 2022 08:35PM
Elizabeth
George:

What would be the purpose of your friend getting a Watchman, I assume he is on a blood thinner and would still be on a blood thinner. I am surprised that his ins. would pay for the Watchman.

I don't think he is now on a blood thinner, at least that was what I remember from a few years ago. I haven't asked him directly about it recently, though I saw him Wednesday.

This article implies that non ablated afibbers can get them: [www.stamfordhealth.org]

{edit}
Looking around the Watchman site, it appears it could be covered if you had a bleeding risk. My friend is in this category as he has Parkinson's. There were a number of reasons that looked like it could be covered.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2022 09:17PM by GeorgeN.
January 08, 2022 09:18PM
So because of the Watchman he no longer is on a blood thinner? I would think because he was in persistent AF that he probably was on a blood thinner.. A little over a year ago I had asked my EP about a Watchman and he said i wasn't eligible for one, i was in persistent AB at the time and didn't want to be taking a blood thinner forever.

I took the quiz on that site you gave and it came back that I was not eligible for a watchman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2022 09:27PM by Elizabeth.
January 08, 2022 09:27PM
I was a guest again today at my local ER…if it’s a weekend, find me in room 16. I joke it’s my timeshare room.

Anyway, I was chatting with a terrific er doctor who has treated me before. I asked him a scenario of “what if” I presented myself to the ER once I got a watchman, would I still have no resistance in being offered an ECV because currently they only ask if I’m still taking Eliquis and then I’m good to go?

He replied technically a watchman and Eliquis provides the same protection, but there are still many conservative ER doctors who will say no to an ecv if I’m only on a half dose of Eliquis after a successful TEE proven watchman.

Food for thought in knowing I will have resistance unless I get someone like today’s hero ER doctor. Not everyone is like him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2022 09:28PM by susan.d.
January 08, 2022 09:35PM
Susan:

There is nickel and Titanium in the makeup of the Watchman. Check out Georges post and click on site which is underlined.
January 08, 2022 09:45PM
Elizabeth
Susan:

There is nickel and Titanium in the makeup of the Watchman. Check out Georges post and click on site which is underlined.

Yes I know—50% and yes I’m tested positive to titanium. I had all my titanium removed in 2012 from problems. I need my gallbladder removed…bothering me for 3 years and it will not be laparoscopic but instead major surgery. If I get the watchman, I can safely reduce the stroke risks by stopping Eliquis for a day or two. It’s lose lose but removal of the gallbladder trumps. (Pinochle term —not being political)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login