Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sonatol post ablation

Posted by triplea 
Sonatol post ablation
January 03, 2022 05:29PM
I had my ablation procedure on 11/8. I take 20 MG of Xarelto every day. I have had several short duration (2-3 hours) afib episodes in the last 2 months. One of those episodes then evolved into tachycardia which lasted 48 hours. In this state, my HR shows as 150 bpm on my Kardia. I take 40 MG of Verapamil when in this state but it does little to lower my HR.
This past weekend I had an brief afib episode which again evolved into tachycardia. This time it lasted 4 days before self converting.
My EP now wants me to take 80MG of Sonatol twice a day. I have never taken any antiarrhythmics before my ablation (not wanting to be on antiarrhythmics was a factor in deciding to have the ablation).
Does this sound like a good idea?
Re: Sonatol post ablation
January 03, 2022 06:55PM
It is recommended, not carved in stone, to start your loading dose of Sotalol in the hospital being monitored for a couple of days to make sure you don’t get prolonged QT. Is that an option?

I started Sotalol in the hospital 12-20 and was hooked up to a monitor under supervision. I got a type two MI from adenosine so I was already admitted and recovering to be able to start sotalol while supervised with ekgs.

I stopped a few months later and put on multaq. Multaq didn’t help so last month I was in the ER for a high 226hr tachycardia and while there I was admitted and put back on Sotalol (on my 70th birthday) and ecv (perfect gift). That didn’t last so the following week I again returned for high tachycardia and they increased the dosage while in telemetry waiting until I converted so I had the drug increased while in the hospital. I converted an hour after a 15mg IV push of cardizen and an increased 120mg Sotalol. Right after discharge I had three episodes, one 250hr, the other both166.66hr…but I converted from my pacemaker zapping me (burst therapy) aided by the increased sotalol dosage of 200mg/day.

I don’t know your history but Flecainide kept me in nsr most of 15 years with 5 years nsr, then 4 years etc until by 17 years it was monthly. Have you asked about Multaq—a milder drug before going straight to the stronger drug? This is a discussion you should make with an EP.
January 04, 2022 10:15PM
There was no discussion of starting Sonatol in the hospital. They do want me to come in for an EKG after 3 days though.
I'll definately ask my EP about a milder alternative.
January 05, 2022 12:08PM
Some / many don't start it in the hospital. Mine does but a good friend did not. in fact she just takes it like PIP. which is odd.. but she has a different EP and different hospital. I am curious .. what were you like before the ablation? I am still toggling and actually went for one but they thought they saw a blood clot so was cancelled- reschedule for next month. (I am currently always in afib but it doesn't bother me)....
January 05, 2022 07:36PM
I had paroxysmal afib for around 4 yrs. Episodes typically lasted 12 hours and always self corrected.
In 2021, frequency of episodes had increased to about 2/month so I decided to have an ablation.
I do not want to be on an antiarrhythmic for any prolonged period of time.
January 05, 2022 07:50PM
I've started sotalol 2-3 times and never in the hospital. Most people I know who've been on sotalol did not start it in the hospital. I think that's generally reserved for people with more risk factors for prolonged QT. Women have longer QTs than men, so being female means you're more likely to be required to start it in a hospital.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login