Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

KARDIA 6L monitor

Posted by alfrae13 
KARDIA 6L monitor
November 01, 2021 02:40PM
I am thinking of getting the KARDIA monitor. Does it work as bought or do you have to subscribe to a service
Re: KARDIA 6L monitor
November 01, 2021 04:52PM
I too have been investigating the KardiaMobile line of products and based upon what I've read in their store web site one must subscribe to a monthly service. I also found that the published iPhone devices listed as compatible goes only as far as IOS14.6 while the latest IOS version is 15.1. I suggest you read some of the reviews, not all the multiple star ones either, to see what some folks have run up against. With my persistent afib/flutter I can find other goodies for my greenbacks.
November 01, 2021 06:04PM
No, you don’t need to subscribe to a monthly service. I printed off copies of my ECG when AF was particularly bothersome or HR was over what I considered a reasonable limit. (150-200+) Found it invaluable when I was stressing about an episode. Just didn’t want to go to ER unless was absolutely necessary. I good tool if you need it.
November 01, 2021 07:47PM
JayBros
I too have been investigating the KardiaMobile line of products and based upon what I've read in their store web site one must subscribe to a monthly service. I also found that the published iPhone devices listed as compatible goes only as far as IOS14.6 while the latest IOS version is 15.1.

You don't need to subscribe and it will work with pretty much any iPhone or Android made in the last 5-10 years. I got a Kardia in 2015 and it has worked flawlessly with the 3 phones I've had since then. It doesn't do anything or need anything unusual that's likely to be broken by newer phones. Like most companies, the list of compatible devices they publish includes only those devices they've actually tested and certified. I guarantee it will work with virtually any iPhone or Android made in the last 5-10 years.

It's a solid product and I highly recommend it. For most people, the basic model is more than adequate. You probably don't need the 6L so save yourself a few bucks.
November 01, 2021 07:54PM
Thank you for pointing out my errors. My apologies to alfrae.
November 01, 2021 08:28PM
No worries, Jay. smiling smiley When I've looked at reviews of the Kardia I can see why people get negative impressions. I see a lot of people posting reviews who misunderstand what it does, or how to use it, and they're often just repeating what they've heard elsewhere (like the subscription thing). So I'd tell anyone to be cautious with what you read in reviews. This is a much more reliable community to ask about it because there are a ton of people here who've owned one and used it regularly for years and have no reason to slant their opinions.
November 01, 2021 11:39PM
I too have used the Kardia (without any subscription) and with no problem using an iPhone 8. During the early stages of the pandemic, I used the Mardia in teleconferences with my EP’s PA. Sent him a strip several minutes before our teleconference in lieu of going to the office and getting an EMG there. Granted this was a scheduled routine visit but still….

Had a recent routine visit with my general cardiologist at which he suggested I get an iwatch because it was approved by the FDA and the Kardia was not. However, I have seen articles indicating the Kardia also has FDA approval. Am I correct?
November 02, 2021 12:36AM
walt
Had a recent routine visit with my general cardiologist at which he suggested I get an iwatch because it was approved by the FDA and the Kardia was not. However, I have seen articles indicating the Kardia also has FDA approval. Am I correct?

You are correct and your cardiologist is 100% wrong. The Kardia was FDA approved at least 5 years before the iWatch, and the iWatch still isn't fully approved. The iWatch isn't FDA approved to detect afib when your heart rate is above 120 (150 for latest model), but the Kardia has been approved for afib detection at any heart rate since at least 2015. I have a first generation Kardia I bought in 2015 and it was FDA approved the day I bought it. The latest 6L model of Kardia also detects several other arrhythmias, all with full FDA approval. So your cardiologist's opinions on this matter are kind of really, seriously wrong.

You should suggest to them that they consult with Dr. Google briefly before offering product advice to patients.
November 02, 2021 08:38AM
I've had the original Kardia since 2014. One difference between the original & 6L is that the original uses sound to send data to the phone. The 6L uses Bluetooth. See wolfpack's comments about this difference here: [www.afibbers.org]

You also might want to view the FAQ for the devices [alivecor.zendesk.com]
November 02, 2021 11:32AM
Have used the original Kardia since 2016 with several "not tested" Android phones and it worked fine. However, you need to make sure your arms are relaxed and that you have a good contact with the pads. Also as the standard Kardia employs the phone mic you need to be in a reasonable quiet place.

You only need to install the "Kardia App" on your phone/tablet.

There is no need for subscription just an e-mail account on your phone/tablet so you can "export" the Adobe .pdf file to your main computer for viewing and storage if you so wish. Yes, you can also download the Kardia file through an USB connection if you like to go that route or just keep them on your phone.

Rolf
November 07, 2021 09:10PM
I really like the 6L. It’s much cleaner. And that’s not just because my original Kardia has been locked in my office that I haven’t been allowed to return to since March 2020. So it’s probably dead with a leaking alkaline battery in it. I’ll find out in March 2022 when I go back!
November 08, 2021 12:48AM
wolfpack
I really like the 6L. It’s much cleaner. And that’s not just because my original Kardia has been locked in my office that I haven’t been allowed to return to since March 2020. So it’s probably dead with a leaking alkaline battery in it. I’ll find out in March 2022 when I go back!

Seriously? Not until 2022 to merely enter your office? Good thing you don't have a hamster or goldfish.
November 08, 2021 06:40PM
wolfpack

I took my Kardia 6L to a watch repair shop where they sell batteries and have great technicians. The two screws are pretty tiny so I didn’t want to risk popping it and losing so I had them replace the battery for $5 including labor while I waited.
November 15, 2021 03:57PM
I bought a fit bit charge 5 and it now will do ECG and report normal sinus rhythm or AFIB. It pretty simple and cost about $175.00. I happy to report I been in sinus rhythm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login