Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Potassium/Magnesium/PACs-PVCs/Flutter-AFib

Posted by Allegra1215 
Potassium/Magnesium/PACs-PVCs/Flutter-AFib
October 30, 2021 10:37PM
thanks for all the advice here online...very helpful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2021 10:47AM by Allegra1215.
Ken
Re: Potassium/Magnesium/PACs-PVCs/Flutter-AFib
October 31, 2021 11:01AM
This may not be of any help, but I too had 12" of my large colon removed because of diverticulitis. The concern was loose stools after the surgery, and I was told to take Metamucil to bulk things up with fiber. After months and months of huge gas problems, I stopped the Metamucil and everything went back to normal - no loose stools, and no diet changes. This occurred between ablations that were 13 years apart and there was no impact on reoccurring afib in any way. During that time, I was, and still am taking Magnesium and Potassium supplements as a preventative measure for the afib which has essentially eliminated ectopics, but the supplementation has in no way impacted my bowel function. It seems that my GI tract doesn't like much fiber as gas issues still occur, but not like it was with the Metamucil. I hope you get things sorted out - good luck.
October 31, 2021 11:08AM
Thanks so very much for your reply. I too had good results when it was just the colon resection...and had the same issues with Metamucil. The subsequent small bowel resection has been more difficult as it speeds up "transport" and is also affected by fat in the diet. My depletion issues came after that as the GI issues escalated greatly. Thanks for your insight. I will continue with my supplementation and trying to balance out the diet more successfully. I believe that once I can bring my intracellular stores up to a reasonable level it will even out and I can do likewise and simply keep things on an even keel with the mag and potassium. Appreciate your thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2021 11:11AM by Allegra1215.
October 31, 2021 12:23PM
Can you tell me which mag and potassium supplements your taking, suffering lots of pvcs 6 years after my ablation
October 31, 2021 12:54PM
Juggsy75
Can you tell me which mag and potassium supplements your taking, suffering lots of pvcs 6 years after my ablation

I too got pvc after each ablation. At one point my PVCs burden was in the 30s%. I had it for months. I was scheduled for a PVCs ablation. I told my local ep and he asked me to postpone the ablation and do a short experiment. I was already on multaq which acts like a Beta Blocker so he started me on a low dose of an old time drug Tenormin (atenolol)-12.5mg once a day for a week. Nothing. Week two 25mg a day. Nothing. 3-4 days into week three at 37.5mg a day —tenormin stopped the PVCs cold turkey. The day it stopped was 4 days before the cancelled PVCs ablation date. I dodged a bullet.

I’m on 12.5mg a day of Tenormin (with pacemaker and multaq) since my third ablation and my PVCs are only rare.
October 31, 2021 01:13PM
I take 450 mgs of Mag Glycinate per day, and an additional small dose of Mag taurate at night. Unlike many people, taurine tends to make me a bit wired unless the dose is small. But at small dose, it calms the beats and helps me sleep too. Using the magnesium every day in this way has virtually eliminated the PVCs at this point (fingers crossed).
I use both Potassium gluconate and citrate (powdered mostly although I do keep a few pills handy to take if I eat out and my food is very salty). These help more with the PACs.
This combination, if done very regularly without fail has been keeping my PACs at a very low level, and my PVCs are essentially gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2021 01:15PM by Allegra1215.
October 31, 2021 02:16PM
For some, taurine is arrhythmic. Just a FYI. My local EP warned me.

My favorite magnesium:
[www.amazon.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login