Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tooth Extraction on Eliquis???

Posted by Poppino 
Tooth Extraction on Eliquis???
October 25, 2021 09:40AM
Ive had a supra errupted molar upper left next to wisdom tooth. Of course after years its feeling sensitive
Ive emailed Trent at Natale: he mentioned Lovenox which ive done in the past but told me hed give me the schedule if i have it done
Anyone had a tooth extracted on eliquis? Know what the protocol usually is? Trent mentioned “if” dr wants me off
So maybe a way to stop bleeding??
Tom
Re: Tooth Extraction on Eliquis???
October 25, 2021 11:33AM
Dentists like to give linocaine with EPI to slow down the bleeding. I always ask for linocaine “plain” (without epi) although I bleed more and at times more difficult for the dentist to see what he is doing. Find a skilled dentist.

Same applies with dermatologists during biopsies. Ask for linocaine plain.
October 25, 2021 11:37AM
You have to find out what the surgeon wants. They'll most likely want you to stop the Eliquis for a few days beforehand. You need to explain that you can't stop it for even a single day without a bridging protocol, which Natale's office will provide him with. Don't be surprised if he's resistant to this idea because outside of the EP world doctors simply don't know about LAA isolation and don't understand that stopping an anticoagulant even for one day is dangerous. If he won't work with the bridging protocol, find another surgeon who will.
October 25, 2021 11:49AM
I never use epi. And Trent has said hed give me the Lovenox protocol should i do this. Which ive used in the past but just dont quite get it?
Anyway guess ill wait til its painful. Its not now
Thanks for input
Tom
October 25, 2021 12:13PM
The point of the Lovenox is it's short acting. So instead of having to stop it for days to let it clear from your system, you'll only have to stop it for a few hours.
ron
October 25, 2021 12:20PM
I had a tooth removed and an implant while on Eliquis with no problem with excess bleeding. The Doctor wasn't concerned at all that I was on Eliquis.
October 25, 2021 12:57PM
Ok thanks Ron then Trent s statement to me: if your dr wants you to stop eliquis. Now makes sense
October 26, 2021 05:04PM
I had dental implant surgery four months after a successful ablation. Dentist wanted me off Eliquis for several days. He consulted with my EP and I stopped it for 3 days. The day after surgery, I went into AFlutter with heart rate in the 150s. Because I had interrupted Eliquis, I had to wait 3 weeks for an ECV. I remained in AFlutter, with a couple short bursts of AFib. Not fun! Thankfully, the ECV was successful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login