Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

They’re back!

Posted by tsco 
They’re back!
October 18, 2021 07:14PM
So after a couple of peaceful years with an occasional small period of some disturbance my pac’s seem to be on the rise. I noticed constant pacs
a couple weeks ago. Prob due to a high work stress load? Anyway I had some Pot Cl micro ER 20meq. I took one and within a day seems they resolved. couple days later they started again. I repeated and they resolved after a day. Well here i sit again minding my own business and boom out of the blue its on!
I guess im looking for input …am I imagining that the Pot Cl is helping? Are these dangerous? I know you have to be careful with potassium but is this dosing insignificant? or significant? I dont want to kill myself so I just wonder if this is a wrong move?
I also take magnesium every night

Thanks all
Tim
Re: They’re back!
October 18, 2021 09:53PM
tsco
I guess im looking for input …am I imagining that the Pot Cl is helping? Are these dangerous? I know you have to be careful with potassium but is this dosing insignificant? or significant? I dont want to kill myself so I just wonder if this is a wrong move?
I also take magnesium every night

Hi Tim,

The issue with any electrolyte being dangerous is the status of your kidneys. Healthy kidneys will excrete any excess, damaged will not. Then a buildup can happen and that can be dangerous.

The molar mass of potassium is 39, so 1 meq = 39 mg and 20 meq = 780 mg of potassium. I assume this is timed release? This is because the kidneys will excrete any bolus dose of potassium. Hence you'd like to spread it out.

From this source [lpi.oregonstate.edu] the adequate intake (AI) of potassium is 3,400 mg/day. From the same source, "A meta-analysis of nine prospective cohort studies showed that daily potassium intakes ranging between 3,510 mg and 4,680 mg were associated with a 30% reduced risk of stroke (16)."

Personally I use potassium citrate powder. Two tsp of the powder is about 4g of potassium or 4,000 mg. I put 2 tsp of the powder and 1 tsp of NaCl into a liter of water and drink it over the day (my version of timed release).

In summary, if you have healthy kidneys, your 20 meq dose is far below the recommended AI, so should not be an issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2021 09:24AM by GeorgeN.
Re: They’re back!
October 19, 2021 08:55AM
Thanks George as always your knowledge is very very appreciated
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login