Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

staying in afib?

Posted by bettylou4488 
staying in afib?
October 15, 2021 10:43PM
I hear a ton about meds and ablations on here- does anyone choose to stay in afib if they have persistent afib? I know for some the options just don't work but I do know a few people who just say.. meh.. I'm good in afib. just curious. thanks.
Re: staying in afib?
October 16, 2021 12:20AM
Lots of people make that choice. They're in afib constantly but they experience few if any symptoms, so they take an anticoagulant to prevent strokes and maybe a rate control drug to keep their HR in check, and then they're good. Their life expectancy is the same as anyone else's, so why do anything more? I know several such people, a couple of whom are serious runners and cyclists. The thing is, you usually won't find them here because they're not looking for solutions. Afib simply isn't a factor in their life and they have no intention of seeking an ablation, taking antiarrhythmic drugs, or much of anything else.

I know, weird, right? Paroxysmal afib is often so symptomatic that it's completely devastating to your quality of life, but persistent afib is often completely asymptomatic and people don't even know they have it until it's discovered incidentally during some routine exam.
October 16, 2021 08:53AM
OK thanks. I am just trying to decide what to do with regards to upcoming ablation. I have done my due diligence in 3 opinions. (of course all EPs will say ablation is the way to go). I have been on drugs for a few years for converting. This is the first time I have ridden out the afib on a rate control drug as all the previous times I was converted. This time that didn't work. (I have congenital stuff which complicates things as well.). I am doing almost as well as I did before .... but I am a bit young to stay this way. IDK. I guess I have a few days to pray about it and I am going to contact an EP that I am not going to (she said to stick with the guy that knows my congenital stuff)... see what she says about staying in it since I never specifically asked that question.

Thanks
October 16, 2021 09:50AM
Betty Lou,

See Shannon’s posts on the topic of long duration afib and the association with ischemia and dementia: [www.afibbers.org]
October 16, 2021 09:55AM
GeorgeN
Betty Lou,

See Shannon’s posts on the topic of long duration afib and the association with ischemia and dementia: [www.afibbers.org]

Thank you
October 16, 2021 10:24AM
Also these issues of the afib report

Silent Cerebral Lesions: Association with both AFIB and Ablations [afibbers.org]

Association between AFIB and Silent Cerebral Infarctions [afibbers.org]
October 16, 2021 10:32AM
GeorgeN
Also these issues of the afib report

Silent Cerebral Lesions: Association with both AFIB and Ablations [afibbers.org]

Association between AFIB and Silent Cerebral Infarctions [afibbers.org]

ok you are giving me at least reasons to go ahead with this first one.. thank you. I had peace about it but as it gets closer I get a little wigged. I know my EP is more than competent and he knows my congenital stuff (and will get a few numbers for my congenital doc). Thanks so much for these links.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2021 10:33AM by bettylou4488.
October 16, 2021 03:55PM
I have silent, persistent Afib, which I stumbled across when taking my BP at home 5 months ago. I immediately saw an experienced cardiologist, who put me on Eliquis and metoprolol (150 mg.). The metoprolol kept my heart rate in the 110-129 range. I had a successful cardioversion 4 months ago and now am off the metoprolol, but remain on the Eliquis. When I hear about people with persistent Afib just living with it, taking an anticoagulant and a rate-control drug, I wonder how it works for them. I found metoprolol, even in lower does, to have serious side effects that I hated. Having persistent Afib, even with a heart rate lower than 110-129, would seem to risk congestive heart failure and serious consequences of lowered blood output (e.g., dementia).
October 16, 2021 04:34PM
Ice Man:

I had perioxyimal AF for almost 20 years, I always converted on my own, my heart rate never went above 90 while in AF. About 2 years ago I went into persistent AF, I no longer feel it expect perhaps once in a while, perhaps that is because my heart rate is usually in the 60s. I have around 5 acres, some woods, i cut my own lawn (there is a lot of it), i have a pretty big garden which i use a rotary tiller, i have fruit trees and berries. i do all of this work myself with AF, i don't quite have the same amount of energy as I once did, but i am in my 80s. I don't need a rate control drug, the only meds I take are Xaralto and a thyroid drug. I know of a few people that have dementia and they never had AF.

I am not saying to don't do an ablation, some people do very well after an ablation and some don't and many have to have more than one ablation. Some have to have a LAA done. So it is a toss up, if you have a high heart rate and a lot of problems being in AF than I agree an ablation is warranted, if you are young and get AF than I would get an ablation. It just isn't cut and dried, depends on how AF has affected your life.
October 16, 2021 05:14PM
Elizabeth,

I am in the early days of Afib. I have the impression that the disorganized and rapid contractions of the atria in Afib, which cause ineffective pumping of blood, even at heart rates in the normal range, will cause damage to the heart and other organs. Am I mistaken about this? You appear to have lived pretty well with Afib, but you have only been in persistent Afib for 2 years?
October 16, 2021 05:28PM
We have a friend here in NC she s 75 ish and lives in slow rate afib and has for years. I think she qualified for the 5 mg of eliquis. Based on age. Idk maybe its 10
But she does fine. Not very physically active so it doesnt bother her.
October 16, 2021 06:03PM
ice Man

Yes, i am in persistent AF for about 2 years, the good thing is that my heart rate is not high it is pretty normal. I do have a severe Tricuspid regurgitation, the rest of the valves are mild/ok. I dont know if this is because of my AF, I dont think so because i have had many tests over the years and the above has pretty much remained the same over the last years. I say if your AF is a fast heartbeat and it bothers you then get an ablation. Remember that during those years my AF was for about 12 to 20 hours than I converted, and these episodes were only a few/year in the early years in the last years they were more frequent like one every month, so I really wasnt in AF for to many hours.
October 16, 2021 07:30PM
Ice Man
I have silent, persistent Afib, which I stumbled across when taking my BP at home 5 months ago. I immediately saw an experienced cardiologist, who put me on Eliquis and metoprolol (150 mg.). The metoprolol kept my heart rate in the 110-129 range. I had a successful cardioversion 4 months ago and now am off the metoprolol, but remain on the Eliquis. When I hear about people with persistent Afib just living with it, taking an anticoagulant and a rate-control drug, I wonder how it works for them. I found metoprolol, even in lower does, to have serious side effects that I hated. Having persistent Afib, even with a heart rate lower than 110-129, would seem to risk congestive heart failure and serious consequences of lowered blood output (e.g., dementia).

Thank you. I have heard of some more today who have been in long term afib but I emailed one of the three EPs that I have seen in the past few months and feel better about the ablation. I have had successful cardiofversions.. until July of this year. (Been on all the drugs etc..). Anyway thanks smiling smiley. mine is rate controlled by cardizem. I also can't tolerate metoprolol. At least the last time I took it I could not.
October 16, 2021 07:32PM
Poppino
We have a friend here in NC she s 75 ish and lives in slow rate afib and has for years. I think she qualified for the 5 mg of eliquis. Based on age. Idk maybe its 10
But she does fine. Not very physically active so it doesnt bother her.

Thanks. yea I am only 54. I am pretty active.. so I guess I will probably give this a try. I have about 3 days to decide LOL! I had it originally scheduled for April and then put it off.. but have been in afib since July now this time. Thanks for chiming in..
October 18, 2021 03:34PM
Hi, Betty.

I'm one of the folks Carey described in his post: paroxysmal, then persistent, then permanent AF for the past 15 years.

On Atenolol 12.5 mg daily, Eliquis 5 mg bid, plus common supplements many on the forum take.

Very minor side effects: if I overdo my resistance bands workout, I get winded, and have to slow down (from experience, this is rare because you learn how to not do too much); similarly, I control intensity of cardio sessions; if I lay on my left side in bed, I can feel my HR pulsing in my ear, and it bugs me (so I start out on my back or my right... once asleep, I don't notice it).

73 yy, 5'-7", 145#, professional-retired male, don't smoke, rarely drink ETOH, no street drugs, no HTN, no DM, no CHF, no previous stroke, no TIA or MI, excellent blood lipids and A1C values, play / sing part-time in a variety band, consult with my EP every 6 months.

/LarryG
October 18, 2021 04:01PM
Two stories to share...one former business associate, diagnosed with AFIB ~8 years ago as part of a routine check, has been living in persistent AFIB ever since. Mid 60's, prolific runner and bicyclist plus, plus, plus...avid traveler. He takes the prerequisite blood thinner. Period. No symptoms...

Other...step father, been in AFIB 30 years plus...COPD, starting to slow down...takes the blood thinner. He is 85. Doing great...

Neither of these gentlemen have experienced any other impacts, including dementia, etc...

I, on the other hand, have symptoms and rush to get cardioverted...interesting beast this afib...
October 18, 2021 06:18PM
Best wishes on your upcoming ablation Betty! I hope it’s successful with a quick recovery to nsr!
October 19, 2021 01:46PM
Thanks all. I really do appreciate it. I'll keep you posted smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login