Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Second Thoughts

Posted by triplea 
Second Thoughts
October 15, 2021 05:46PM
I'm currently scheduled for an ablation in mid Nov and I'm having second thoughts on my EP.
He has been performing between 50-100 ablations per year at a major Boston hospital for the last 15 years.
After reading all these blogs, I'm having second thoughts on if his experience is adequate.
Any advice??
Re: Second Thoughts
October 15, 2021 07:59PM
Maybe ask for references but i doubt they do that. 50 a year may not be alot today. On 8/6 i know i was Dr Natale s 2nd that day
Dr Holshouser here does 2-3 a day on ablation days. Others will know better but i know that experience sure counts and it depends on your case difficulty. If your parasoxmyl and not persistent not long standing then the standard pvi may be an easier fix for you. Before my first ablation in 2012 i learned here to ask: who puts the catheters in and what is your accident record. Dr Holshouser answered all immediately to my satisfaction A friend here age 77 female was ablated 13 months ago. I begged her to go to Holshouser she just went with an EP assigned to her. Zero afib since. So????
Best to you in your decesion
October 16, 2021 02:16AM
I tortured myself last year over the same decision that you are facing. I did wind up canceling with my local EP and went to Natale [ based on guidance and stories that I got from this forum]. I had a successful ablation and it wound up being much more extensive then I thought it would be. I had paroxysmal A-fib for about 6 years and I required much more then PVI. I would question your EP thoroughly asking if they are experienced and comfortable in ablating other areas in the heart. And as Poppino mentioned I would ask about their complications record and also their success record. In The end after Gathering all your information you have to go with your gut. Good luck.
October 16, 2021 10:48PM
I have an abaltion scheduled nov 10 very nervous my dr has only done 250 to 300 he is maybe 38-40 dr john alvin kpaeyeh i like him aeems live a good dr i live Cincinnati ohio. I am 62 what do you think i will ask wbput complications and success rate
October 17, 2021 02:49AM
I personally would not get an ablation from a Dr with less than a thousand or more ablations under their belt and a very low complication rate and a high success rate. I would look for a high volume center. IMHO.
October 17, 2021 07:07AM
I have had two ablations at MGH by an EP with a 6-9 months waiting list. He has probably done thousands so far and still I am off to Austin next week to get ablation #3 from Dr. Natale.
It is all about the person preforming the procedure. Experience is key!
If this will be your first ablation you might ask your EP if he/she is partaking in the PFA (Pulsed Field Ablation) trials.
I understand they might replace the RF ablations in the near future.

Best of luck on whatever decision you make.
October 18, 2021 09:26AM
Tony, My EP is a coinvestigator in a clinical trial using pulsed field ablation.
Maybe I'll ask if I can participate in the trial...
October 18, 2021 01:54PM
triplea
Tony, My EP is a coinvestigator in a clinical trial using pulsed field ablation.
Maybe I'll ask if I can participate in the trial...

Pulse uses no heat so I think it’s safer. I heard recovery is quicker. Natale has trials btw.
November 07, 2021 04:19PM
Made similar decision ended up going out of state to Dr Natale 6/10/20. Dr. Natale had to do some extra ablating that I can safely say my local EP would never have done. That right there was worth the price of admission!!!
November 07, 2021 06:57PM
I made a decision to travel from Wisconsin to see Dr. Natale. I am waiting for my third ablation to be scheduled. I have a telemed/consult call with him on Wednesday. I will be compiling my list of questions. Please let me know if you have any questions I should be asking him. Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login