Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finding a new EP

Posted by RolfE 
Finding a new EP
September 11, 2021 11:19AM
Greetings y’all

I have a problem that I like to run by your collective experience. Last year I had an ablation by a skilled and experienced EP that took me some time and trials to find. Unfortunately, he got an offer that he could not resist and moved to Utah. Everything was fine until about a month ago, as after having worked out in the sun, I developed a-fib again as per my Kardia. Well as thing goes I had a follow up with an EP “helper Dr.” a week later so I went to the hospital. Then the “helper doc” shows up and the first thing coming out of her mouth after entering the room was “I will prescribe Pacerone” I then told her flat out that I was looking for a touch up ablation and at least they should try a Cardio version to buy time even if it is not lasting. Can’t do as I am only here a week a month, and later that week I find out she was gone for good.

This is a large hospital group in the Milwaukee area that used to be on the forefront in hearth health care, but then got absorbed into a large Illinois organization, and now seemingly are run by the accountants. There have been several old experienced EP’s that now have “retired” or announced their desire to do so.

I never started on the Pacerone just got home and increased my Mg and P5P supplements which seemingly helps. Anyway, I probably need a touch up ablation and is again actively looking for an experienced EP.

Any suggestions?

Rolf E
Re: Finding a new EP
September 11, 2021 11:38AM
Pacerone is the brand name for amiodarone. Yes, amio will almost certainly prevent your afib, but it's the heaviest hitting drug of all and comes with a list of serious side effects. It should be the drug of last choice, not first choice.

I don't know of any EPs in Wisconsin specifically, but you're not far from Mayo. But if you're going to travel, why not travel to Utah to see your old EP, or Austin to see Natale?
September 11, 2021 12:44PM
Carey, thanks for your reply,

I agree that amio is a very heavy duty last resort drug with many bad side effects. For life threatening ventricle tachycardia yes, but for a-fib I think it should not be the first option. Definitely, it seems that Wisconsin is short of well experienced EP’s that do catheter ablations. The ones around here are seemingly mostly pill pushers.

Yes, definitely I will travel and have already inquired with Dr Natale but have no answer yet. Also, I definitely consider my old EP.

I posted the question just to see if I missed anything.

Rolf E
September 11, 2021 02:01PM
How about Chicago. Very close to you. Northwestern Univ???
T
September 12, 2021 12:03PM
There was a highly regarded guy in Chicago. Roderick Tung. But he may have relocated???
Tom
September 12, 2021 02:42PM
Tom,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, Dr Tung is now supposedly in Phoenix, AZ.

Rolf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login