Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Medicare Possible Cutback for Ablations

Posted by Tony in Boston 
Medicare Possible Cutback for Ablations
September 10, 2021 07:56AM
I saw this posted on another forum and thought it is important enough to post here. I would not want Medicare to cut back or cut out funding for ablations !! I know I will most likely need another one in the future.

Are you a Medicare patient (in the US and 65 or more)? We need your help to preserve your ability to get an afib catheter ablation when you need one.

Medicare (CMS, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) proposes significantly decreasing the reimbursement electrophysiologists receive when doing a catheter ablation (effective January 1, 2022). Thus, catheter ablations may become more challenging to get.

CMS is seeking comments from those affected and would like to hear from afib patients.

Has having a catheter ablation improved your quality of life? Would you like to continue to have access to a catheter ablation? Then, please tell them so.

The proposed changes would disincentivize electrophysiologists from doing catheter ablations and thus limit our ability to get them.

If you would like to preserve access to this treatment option, please provide comments to CMS no later than September 13, 2021, at [www.regulations.gov].

Diagnosed with persistent AFIB in May 2018 and asymptomatic. 1st RF ablation done on 12/10/18 and 2nd on 2/22/21 both at MGH by Dr. Mansour.

After #2 went into flutter. Ablation #3 by Dr. Natale 10/20/21
Watchman done June 2022, so far so good.
Re: Medicare Possible Cutback for Ablations
September 10, 2021 08:24AM
Truly an unfortunate development if it comes to pass. I guess we are moving towards the model where the important thing is that everyone is covered in some sense, regardless of the level of coverage.

I don't think it will be effective to provide comments. Too many competing therapies for cancer and other serious illness which are also under scrutiny and facing cutbacks. Not to mention less serious but more routine (but still expensive) care.

The best strategy seems to be to work as long as possible with employer based coverage which has reasonable maximum out of pocket thresholds, and get procedures done prior to retirement. Or make plans to mostly cover the cost yourself.

Does anyone have recent estimates of the out of pocket cost for ablation? That would be useful information.
September 10, 2021 08:39AM
In my limited research with regard to a Natale ablation in Austin outa pocket would be about 28,000
Our country is 30 trillion in debt. The world has debt of 144 trillion so its to me what does a few extra billion matter?
When i sold my business in 2016 i put a stash away for this very reason. That someday id have to pay. Im fortunate i realize as many cant do this
Ive paid into medicare since 1970-2016. It did 100% cover my 8/6 Natale ablation and im outa state. But! I could need a touchup? A watchman? Etc
T
September 10, 2021 08:56AM
I already had signed this last week to help allow ablations to be covered. Please scroll to the link in the middle of the page and you can help too.

[www.stopafib.org]

Sign it today because the deadline is in three days 9-13-21.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2021 08:58AM by susan.d.
September 10, 2021 12:33PM
Thanks Tony for posting Mellanie's message from StopAFIB.org. on this important CMS Ablation reimbursement issue.

We are submitting directly to CMS a similar statement and appeal this weekend from 'The AFIB Report, A Non-Profit Corporation' on behalf of all of us Afibbers.org folks as well.

And if you wish, please feel free to send your own personal appeal as a private individual to CMS before the 11:59pm deadline for submission on 9-13-21, as laid out in the template above for submitting your two-cents to the CMS adjudicators by our friends at StopAFIB.org.

Carey and I will keep you all posted as to the verdict on this important matter over the coming weeks or months. And keep in mind, that the whole Cardiology/EP world is highly focused on this issue, and we are collectively hopeful a reasonable outcome will be achieved.

Cheers!
Shannon
September 23, 2021 09:39AM
Unfortunately just saw this today after an absence with recovery from COVID. Tried to submit my opinions but they are no longer accepting information. Problem-free since Natale ablation in March 2011.

FYI.....finally opted to get the vaccine. Had all the side-affect of the vaccine and then got COVID five days later!!!!!

Steve
Spring, Tx
September 23, 2021 03:20PM
JAYHAWK
Had all the side-affect of the vaccine and then got COVID five days later!!!!!

I know of someone who got vaccinated and stopped wearing masks/social distancing and like you got covid19 within a week. Once vaccinated you are not instantly protected immediately. You still need to use precautions until a week+ after the second dose. Mask wearing is still recommended because of the Delta strain.

Sorry you came down with covid but glad it didn’t trigger afib and you are ok.

I actually was talking to someone else recently got a call from a friend who saw her the day before who told her he just got covid19. She wasn’t vaccinated and took the vaccine the next day and it helped keep her covid symptoms mild. Maybe lucky maybe the vaccine helped a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 03:45PM by susan.d.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login