Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4 month post PFA report

Posted by Ralph 
4 month post PFA report
September 01, 2021 08:37PM
Just checking back in 4 months after my pulsed field ablation (PFA) with Dr. Natale. Things are still going along without a hitch. As I said in my last post at 2 months, my blanking period was completely quiet, and it remains that way. If you are thinking about an ablation, you might want to see if you are eligible for a PFA. I got mine through an ongoing trial study with the Medtronics catheter - here is the link in which you can find locations it is being offered and the eligibility criteria [clinicaltrials.gov].

There is another ongoing study with the Farapulse catheter - called the Advent study - which is recruiting 900 participants. The Farapulse catheter was used in a prior study of about 80 people (as I recall) with 100% success over 1 year. [clinicaltrials.gov]

I think the only question is whether they are as durable as traditional radiofrequency ablations (RFA). There simply is no long term data. And also no good reason (that I know of) to think they aren't at least as durable.

If you aren't eligible for the study (because you are in "permanent afib", over 75, or have had prior ablations) you can still check with your chosen provider to see if they can get a compassionate care exemption. According to his assistant, Dr. Natale has performed PFA on people outside of the study.

I'll keep updating every few months at least until there are more of us who have done this. And I'll certainly report in if a problem develops. Ralph
Re: 4 month post PFA report
September 02, 2021 12:26AM
Nice to hear success stories. Keep it going.
September 02, 2021 07:17AM
Ralph,
Thank you for your update and the latest news about the PFA.
I hope you continue enjoying peaceful NSR after this interesting procedure.
Further updates will be much appreciated by this afibbers community.
Kind regards,

Ben
September 02, 2021 12:11PM
I’d anyone familiar with Christopher Woods? He’s the lead investigator at one of the Bay Area Hospitals for the Farupulse catheter.
September 02, 2021 01:42PM
Ralph

When I had my RF ablation in Bordeaux in January 2003 I asked about the longterm results. The professor answered "You ARE the longterm!"

Gill (still in sinus rhythm 17 years later)
September 02, 2021 03:58PM
Gil- you are 17 years free of afib? Wow! Congratulations!
September 02, 2021 04:23PM
Great news Ralph! Continued NSR to you!!

Gill, I showed up here in 2004 and remember your posts since! Do you still dive?
September 02, 2021 05:32PM
Ralph,

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated! Very helpful.

Jeff
September 03, 2021 07:27AM
I am pretty sure I am not a candidate for pulsed (in US) .. per Natale because of my extra issues but I am going to another local EP who does them and I am going to ask about the compassionate care exemption because Natale and my regular EP (who is not doing pulsed) said I would generally be a good candidate. So glad I saw this thread seconds before leaving for the doc.
September 04, 2021 07:52AM
George

Sad to say that I did my last dive 4 years ago at age 79, after diving for 25 years and doing about 600 dives. Once underwater the diving is relaxing and effortless but lugging the gear to remote locations via several airports and overnights en route was getting to be too hard.

Gill
Ken
September 04, 2021 09:02AM
Gill,

I have been diving for 50 years, and am 76. These days I only dive at Sandals resorts. All inclusive and I only take a mask defogger, a shorty wet suit and socks for the slip on shoe fins. They provide everything else. I sold all my scuba gear 20 years ago. My diving was never restricted by afib.
September 04, 2021 01:57PM
Ken

When my AF was paroxysmal I sat out many dives until it stopped, but once it became persistent I couldn’t dive for a couple of years. Four months after my Bordeaux ablation I was on a liveaboard in the Maldives! I miss it a lot but don’t fancy Sandals or any all-inclusive type operations.

My favourite places to dive are a long way from UK, mostly in the South Pacific - Papua New Guinea is the best place I ever dived, closely followed by Vanuatu, Yap, Palau, Nouvelle Calédonie and Australia. I also loved Cozumel, where the drift diving was really easy and Aldora Divers was the best operator anywhere in the world.

Must stop chatting about diving and hijacking Ralph's thread! Apologies Ralph!

Gill (pronounced Jill, female, in UK)
Ken
September 05, 2021 10:10AM
There is nothing special about the dive sites at the Sandals that I have been to (9), there are better places to dive, but I also take advantage of the Hobie cats (14'), stand up paddle boards, kayaks, windsurfers, and some water skiing. Golf as well at some of their locations. You can do two tanks a day, every day if you choose. I did all the exotic diving years past and am happy to just keep it going as long as I can. I very rarely had afib episodes (more than 200) while physically active. Usually late day or evening when relaxed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login