Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taking Extra Dose of Metoprolol To Convert Back to NSR

Posted by Ice Man 
Taking Extra Dose of Metoprolol To Convert Back to NSR
August 31, 2021 04:17PM
Had successful cardioversion six week ago. Met with my cardiologist today and she cut my metoprolol from 100 mg./day to 50 mg./day. She told me, if my heart were to go back into Afib, to take an extra 50 mg. dose of metoprolol, which should make it convert back to NSR. Has anyone used this approach to convert back to NSR?
Re: Taking Extra Dose of Metoprolol To Convert Back to NSR
August 31, 2021 04:52PM
Ice back in my afib days prior to a 2012 successful ablation i used Propafanone aka Rythmol. I used a loading dose at onset of an afib episode. I think it was 4 150 mg tabs. Many here use Flecanide in the same manner. They are used to convert after a period of time 1-6 hrs maybe longer. They are used on demand not an everyday med as metropolol is. M is just a beta blocker that will lower HR and BP but not for conversion unless you just get lucky that the lower HR in some way plays a role in putting you back in NSR. You were cardioverted: so an episode that lasted days? You said: my cardiologist. You need an EP
August 31, 2021 08:39PM
I had persistent Afib, but no symptoms (e.g., BP in 120s/130s constantly). Thanks for your information.
September 01, 2021 05:22PM
Metoprolol is a beta-blocker (slows the heart rate), not an anti-arrhythmic medication which tries to "chemically" convert to NSR. It's unlikely metroprolol on its own converted you. More likely it just got the rate down and some other "magic" happened coincidentally.

PIP (pill-in-pocket) approaches to cardioversion use Propafenone or Flecainide. You really want an EP managing this. Cardiologists are good because you can often see them same day or next day if you need to, but the EP should be running the show for AF. The idea is to "team them up" (cardio + EP) for best results.
September 01, 2021 08:39PM
Thanks for your info.
September 01, 2021 09:00PM
Metroprolol is something they give in the Er to convert STV during high tachycardia.
September 11, 2021 09:25AM
Metoprolol is a class 2 antiarrhythmic.
September 11, 2021 11:45AM
jasams
Metoprolol is a class 2 antiarrhythmic.

That's how it's classified, but about the only arrhythmia it affects is tachycardia and it does that by slowing your hear rate. It doesn't prevent or stop afib. The only beta blocker that does is sotalol. However, simply slowing the heart rate can help some people convert to a normal rhythm on their own.
September 14, 2021 11:00AM
which Metoprolol are we discussing here... Succinate ER or Tartrate?
September 15, 2021 12:39AM
Muntz
which Metoprolol are we discussing here... Succinate ER or Tartrate?

Doesn't really matter. ER is just an extended release version of tartrate. Same drug just in an extended release form.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login