Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Health Care Practitioner to help with Mg repletion?

Posted by LaniB 
Health Care Practitioner to help with Mg repletion?
August 28, 2021 06:08PM
I am struggling to bring up my Mg level. I know I need an exactest and will get one soon, but have been following along with RBC Mg tests for the last cpl of years. I can never seem to get above 5.8 mg/dl (where Cardiologist Dr. Denis Goodman in Magnificent Mg says 5.5 is deficient) I take the suggested best absorbed types of Mg to bowel tolerance, take an Epsom Salt bath 2 to 3 X a week, spray the EASE Mg spray all over my body 2X day. I had 3 Mgcl 2 gm IVs one a week in July. ( Mg Sulfate is always on backorder) I was hoping I'd be higher than 5.8 after all that, but I just got back from a road trip to Oregon where we hiked a lot and I did sweat some, and I'm back down to 5.2! That's where I was when I had my last AF breakthrough . I've read 4 books on magnesium, so I know what to eat and not eat and drink, I avoid calcium, try to avoid stress. I have read that travel can deplete Mg and so do loud noises (like sitting in a car all day on the interstate while trying to listen to music). I am really stumped. Does anyone know of a health care practitioner ANYWHERE (since virtual appointments work now) who is adept at guiding people on magnesium repletion and depletion?
Re: Health Care Practitioner to help with Mg repletion?
August 28, 2021 06:29PM
Are you taking B-6? If not, perhaps 100 mg, 2x/day of the pyridoxal-5-phosphate form. B-6 helps the body use magnesium.

I've been going through a mineral balancing routine directed by a consultant using hair mineral analysis. Prior to doing it, I would have thought it BS, but the results with respect to my afib have been beneficial and the consultant's suggestions on target.
August 29, 2021 11:46AM
Thanks George, I am taking Life Extension's 250 mg pyridoxine HCL . Is that the same?
August 29, 2021 03:51PM
LaniB
Thanks George, I am taking Life Extension's 250 mg pyridoxine HCL . Is that the same?

Yes, I believe it is a salt version that converts to pyridoxal-5-phosphate in the body.
August 30, 2021 05:11PM
My wife has chronic, low magnesium, which is the result of taking a proton pump inhibitor for many years due to severe GIRD. When her magnesium gets low, she starts trembling/shaking. She gets an IV once-a-month to replenish her magnesium. They told her at the clinic where she gets the IV that testing at the cellular level is necessary. Testing using a blood draw is not accurate.
August 30, 2021 07:02PM
Ice Man
My wife has chronic, low magnesium, which is the result of taking a proton pump inhibitor for many years due to severe GIRD. When her magnesium gets low, she starts trembling/shaking.

As a part of my mineral balancing, my consultant suggested adding Betaine HCL to increase my stomach acid, along with digestive enzymes. Following her suggestion, I read [smile.amazon.com] and learned that most folks have low rather than high stomach acid. The reason low stomach acid causes GERD is that low stomach acid slows digestion and food backs up into the esophagus, where any acid is bad news. In my case, adding in the HCL has improved my digestion dramatically. I've also been able to cut my stupidly high magnesium intake back to around 1.4 g/day from 3-5g/day. Now,1.2 g/day from my dimagnesium malate powder and 0.2g/day from the consultant company's magnesium chloride product.

Moderator Shannon Dickson has also had a long history with magnesium injections (15 years or longer).

Ice Man
Testing using a blood draw is not accurate.

Yes the most accurate test is Exatest [www.exatest.com] Only issue is usually have to find an out of pocket integrative doc to run it for you. RBC magnesium is second best and easier to come by. Serum magnesium is pretty worthless. If you are low on it, you are low, but can be normal and still be low on an intracellular test.
August 30, 2021 07:32PM
I had a 2g IV of magnesium Sunday. Felt better. Great boost. My insurance has covered it in the past.
August 30, 2021 08:15PM
Thanks. I'll pass this on to her.
August 31, 2021 01:25AM
My nurse practitioner has written RX's for Mg IVs but is a little reluctant since she's not well versed in it. With an Rx, I can go to an infusion center and only have a $10. co pay. Going to an integrative MD or NP for an IV costs about $150. to $175. each, OUCH! I am tracking my progress, showed her Dr. Goodman's book Magnificent Magnesium where he states that anything below 5.5 mg/dl in a Red Blood Cell Mg test is flirting with an arrhythmia. So we are learning together, and she'll write the RX for the IV if my Mg is low.

My numbers are highest when I'm not as physically active, or sweat, so I'm trying to moderate that. Dr. Day's book says to exercise daily but not too much. I'm going to ask my nurse practitioner to write an RX for Exatest so hopefully medicare will pay for a portion of it. RBC Mg is second best since it does check the level in the blood cells, but blood cells don't have mitochondria, I don't believe, and mitochondria are what NEED Mg to produce ATP for energy.

I read on an obscure blog last night that Dr. Russell Jaffe recommends taking Choline because it helps get Mg and Potassium into the cells. So I'm going to try that. A little Choline will help a lot of things and it's cheap. I also read that Taurine does the same thing, so I'm upping my Taurine a bit. I mix Taurine, Potassium, and Mg in my daily 64 oz of water that I sip all day and it's not bad at all.

If the Choline or something else helps, I'll let y'all know.....We are all different, so have to find our own way. I was pretty blow away when reading Dr. Seeligs Magnesium Factor that loud noise really drains Mg stores. Maybe it's the stress caused by the noise that the Mg has to mitigate? I'm also going to look into a parasite cleanse. I found another obscure blog that said that parasites can deplete Mg. Anybody heard of that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login