Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Supplements

Posted by Mel-O 
Supplements
August 24, 2021 06:31AM
Hi. I’m new to the forum, and new to having afib. I have read about magnesium, potassium, taurine, calcium. What are the right amounts to take? Is there a combo pill that people can recommend?
Re: Supplements
August 24, 2021 08:09AM
Mel-O
Hi. I’m new to the forum, and new to having afib. I have read about magnesium, potassium, taurine, calcium. What are the right amounts to take? Is there a combo pill that people can recommend?

Hi Mel-O, first, any electrolyte supplements are for those with good kidneys. If you have good kidneys, they will excrete any excess electrolytes. If you don't, the electrolytes can accumulate and be a negative or even potentially fatal.

We are all different, but some of us have found that calcium, from supplements or food can be a negative for afib so avoid it. Potassium, when taken in a concentrated dose will be quickly urinated out. I personally put 2 tsp of potassium citrate powder in a liter or so of water and consume over the day. My version of "timed release." Quite a few have found magnesium to be beneficial. Magnesium glycinate is considered a bioavailable form. The advice is to start out with a low dose and gradually increase. If your stools start to get loose, back off the dose a bit. It is best to optimize magnesium before starting potassium. A 1/4 tsp of taurine powder a day is a reasonable dose.

Here is a long post from Jackie on taurine: [www.afibbers.org]

Calcium post: [www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

Potassium: [www.afibbers.org]

Magnesium: [www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
August 24, 2021 08:35AM
is there a way to bookmark posts? this is one I would like to bookmark ( I mean I can on my computer but in the website here.). I take Mg (glycerinate)- 200 3X a day.... . taurine.. (500-1000 mg). I eat potassium rich foods (avocados.. potatoes..) calcium is a new one for me. such a great question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2021 08:23PM by bettylou4488.
August 24, 2021 10:18AM
I am so glad to find this afibbers.org site! I followed the 'Vitamin Shop' link on the forum page, and - whoa! So many supplements, so many bottles, so many choices. Is there one particular brand, or one particular formula or combo that our members generally feel best about? I know that all our bodies are different, but is there general agreement on a winning strategy?
August 24, 2021 10:25AM
Thank you, GeorgeN, I appreciate that you have so much knowledge and are willing to share your experience. I am wondering, are there particular stores, and specific brands of these supplements that you might recommend? And, what do you think, can you mix some of these powders together in a pitcher of V8 or something to sip through the day? Or is water best?
August 24, 2021 11:28AM
My cardiologist recommended magnesium oxide 250 or 500 mg./day. I am taking 250 mg./day and seem to tolerate it ok. A man I walk with, who had stents put in a year ago, is on 250 mg./day of magnesium oxide as recommended by his cardiologist. He takes it every other day because it upsets his lower tract otherwise.
August 24, 2021 12:06PM
I think mag oxide is more of a laxative type magnesium. Magnesium glycinate which i think is magnesium bonded to glycine is better absorbed thus better for hearth rythm. The oxide form might actually create a negative. As stated above do not take calcium not mag cal combined just magnesium. George s formula of potassium in water used thru the day sounds vg too. Also simply staying hydrated (water) the Natale Group really stressed this to me.
T
August 24, 2021 03:55PM
What about magnesium taurate? Is that the best of both worlds?
August 24, 2021 06:31PM
bettylou4488
is there a way to bookmark posts? this is one I would like to bookmark ( I mean I can on my computer but in the website here.). I take Mg (glycerinate).. taurine.. (500-1000 mg). I eat potassium rich foods (avocados.. potatoes..) calcium is a new one for me. such a great question.

Click one link at a time, then bookmark each of the above website links to your browser.
August 25, 2021 07:53AM
Mel-O
Thank you, GeorgeN, I appreciate that you have so much knowledge and are willing to share your experience. I am wondering, are there particular stores, and specific brands of these supplements that you might recommend? And, what do you think, can you mix some of these powders together in a pitcher of V8 or something to sip through the day? Or is water best?

I'm off to a busy day & will give a detailed response later in the day.
August 25, 2021 10:15PM
Mel-O

On the iHerb site. Here are some products that should work. On magnesium, the oxide form is considered the least bioavailable. I've used it successfully, but I wouldn't recommend starting there. The Albion TRAACS magnesium glycinate is considered very bioavailable . Albion makes supplements that others market. One product on the iHerb site that has it is this NOW product: [www.iherb.com] Note that a serving size is 2 tablets and 200 mg magnesium. So 100 mg/tablet. I would suggest starting with one tablet/day and keep adding one a day till you reach bowel tolerance, then back off. You can find other products on this or other sites by many marketers with the TRAACS magnesium glycinate in it. I have not done price comparisons.

This is a potassium citrate powder that will work: [www.iherb.com] Again, I put 2 tsp in water and drink over the day. You could use something else, but I just drink water, not caloric beverages (period, not just for this purpose).

This is taurine powder that will work: [www.iherb.com] I just throw it in my mouth and swallow, I don't mix. Some days I might drink a little water after.

I don't do this, but I think there is the magnesium glycinate product in powder form. You could add it to your potassium citrate water and consume over the day. My afibber son-in-law does this and says he can consume a higher dose of magnesium with this protocol. My bowel tolerance is ridiculously high, so I never bother.

If you use the code HAN815 when you checkout at iHerb, you'll get $5 off and this site will get a small commission.
August 26, 2021 07:48PM
Thanks! Including the direct links to the products on the iHerb site was extremely helpful. I'm considering making a cocktail of the three minerals, blending them into a jug of low-sodium V8, and staying out of afib.
August 26, 2021 08:55PM
GeorgeN,

In my post above I reference magnesium oxide, which was recommended independently by two cardiologists. You state that it is the "least bioavailable". Ok, so why is it being recommended by my cardiologist? I'd like to know.
August 26, 2021 10:35PM
Ice Man
Ok, so why is it being recommended by my cardiologist? I'd like to know.

You'd need to ask them. As I mentioned, I've used it successfully, but generally it does not come with the highest recommendation. I've used nearly every form, including some that I react other chemicals to make myself. They all are effective for me, but some folks get better results with the higher bioavailable forms. The glycinate form is usually considered a decent choice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login