Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are blood thinners and Solotal

Posted by rattana 
Are blood thinners and Solotal
August 22, 2021 02:01PM
Greetings,

It has now been one month since my ablation.I have 2 questions.

1. SOLOTAL
It has been almost 3 weeks that I am on Solotal 60 mg 2 times a day. The doctor switched me to Solotal from Metropolol because my heart went back into afib after 4 days. Solotal brought me back into normal rhythm in 6 hours and I have stayed there.

The doctor (nurse practitioner) told me to stay on Solotal for one month and then reduce to 60 mg one time a day for a week and then every other day for a week. Then I will see her again.

Does anyone have any advise or warning about getting off of Solotal? I read the posts that the heart rate will go up for a couple of months. (nurse said this too) Does this mean that I am at greater risk of returning to afib?

2. BLOOD THINNERS
Are blood thinners necessary a month or so after an ablation when our heart is back to normal beat?

How long do you think it is a good idea to take Eliquist 5 mg?

Are there any natural blood thinners like Hawthorn Berry that anyone has used to substitute for the expensive medication?

Thanks!

Rattana :+)
Re: Are blood thinners and Solotal
August 22, 2021 02:44PM
Eliquis is usually mandatory 3 months min. 10 mg 5/5 unless your EP has a reason? We would all love to use a natural substitute. Dont
Even in rythm. Back in 2012 my first afib ablation i was warfarin resistant! 15 mg took me to like 1.8 not 2-3. My ep said: just take aspirin. Times have changed
A stroke can be devastating
August 22, 2021 04:21PM
rattana
Does anyone have any advise or warning about getting off of Solotal? I read the posts that the heart rate will go up for a couple of months. (nurse said this too) Does this mean that I am at greater risk of returning to afib?

Sotalol can act as both a rate and rhythm control med. After ablations, it is common for the resting heart rate to increase. In fact, a higher heart rate after an ablation is an indicator of ablation success. See: [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] Usually the heart rate will decrease over time. Hence, if you are taking Sotalol, you are masking this increase and reducing the dose would naturally reduce the rate control. This would not be expected to raise your risk of returning to afib. Since Sotalol is also a rhythm control med, reducing the dose would reduce this rhythm controlling activity. It is possible that you could go into afib after reducing the dose. However, hopefully as you exit the blanking period after the ablation, this would not happen, assuming the ablation to be successful.

I would not reduce your Eliquis dose until advised to do so by your EP team.
August 22, 2021 05:05PM
rattana

2. BLOOD THINNERS
Are blood thinners necessary a month or so after an ablation when our heart is back to normal beat?

How long do you think it is a good idea to take Eliquist 5 mg?

Are there any natural blood thinners like Hawthorn Berry that anyone has used to substitute for the expensive medication?

Thanks!

Rattana :+)

YES. Blood thinners are required for at least the 3 month blanking period following an ablation. There are no natural substitutes that can do the job safely and they certainly cannot be mixed with prescription medication.

The reason for 90 days of anticoagulation is because the heart atria are really inflamed from the ablation itself. Think of the radio frequency catheter as a tiny little branding iron. If you got a cattle brand on your arm, you might well expect that to hurt for a while. Same for the heart. It’s partially burnt tissue and when it’s all swollen up it doesn’t beat the same (even in NSR) as it would had it been uninjured. It’ll get back to that state but in the meantime the abnormal wall motion can lead to clot formation much like AF itself does. Hence the need for Eliquis or Xarelto for that duration.
August 22, 2021 05:42PM
If one had their LAA ablated during their ablation, then they should remain on a NOAC until after a TEE (6 months later?) to determine if their blood velocity levels is high enough to get off. Approximately 60% can get off their blood thinners I read on this site.
August 23, 2021 10:46AM
I think its 40% can get off and 60 cant approx percentages. Some type of calculation of emptying velocity. Then I believe a Watchman for the 60% is an option. After its in im not clear on protocol. Ive read Plavix? And aspirin for a period. Or if no Watchman then 1/2 dose of Eliquis for life??? Its in my future. I hope! Even after watchman an 81 aspirin is protocol? The Natale Group will advise me. Im only 2 weeks post ablation LAA & Cornary Sinus
August 23, 2021 04:33PM
Poppino
I think its 40% can get off and 60 cant approx percentages.

That is correct.
August 23, 2021 04:50PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and information, which is most helpful. I will follow doctor's direction on blood thinners and monitor heartrate as I am directed to reduce dosage of Solotal.
Blessings, Rattana :+)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login