Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fish oils and a-fib

Posted by californiagal 
fish oils and a-fib
August 16, 2021 11:57AM
I have knee osteo-arthritis (not bone-on-bone and no pain--just stiffness). I walk with a noticeable limp. I recently did a trial of 3 grams of a high quality fish oil product to see if it helped my knees. After a week, my limping disappeared and gait was normal. My legs had much more strength. I was overjoyed. But then I noticed my heart began to have increased palpitations. After a few days, of this I stopped the fish oils.

(A side note: a few years ago a cardiologist ran a fatty acid blood test that showed a low omega 3 result. The recommendation was to take 1 gram omega 3 oil daily. Since that time, I've taken this amount daily, without seeming problems with my A-Fib. It's just when I increased to 3 grams that things went 'south'. I read on the internet that studies with EPA caused A-Fib in subjects. Perhaps extra DHA is safer for a-fib? / Have any of you found that foods containing omega 3 oils also increase your a-fib?

My heart takes priority but I sure miss the benefits the extra oil gave to my knees.
Re: fish oils and a-fib
August 17, 2021 03:34AM
California girl,
I recently read of a study which showed that high supplementation with Omega 3 fatty acids resulted in increased afib. I think there were a few studies showing these results. You can Google it.
August 17, 2021 03:15PM
I think it is individual, like many things. My doc wants us to concentrate on DHA for brain reasons. He wants' an omega 3 Index >10.5%. I got mine up to 17% last Nov. That was a bit over the top. My arms looked like I was on warfarin with a too high INR, especially as I bang them up rock climbing all the time. I backed it off a bit. Never had an impact on my afib.

I think EPA is more anti-inflammatory that DHA, for your purpose, but again, something to figure out. In your shoes, I'd likely start by increasing DHA gradually & see if I could find a spot that didn't aggravate afib, but helped the knees. Then I'd do the same with EPA. Hopefully finding a dosage that helps knees and doesn't make afib worse.
August 18, 2021 01:50AM
Thanks for these replies, frankangelo and George N.
George, I'll give that trial with DHA (and eventually EPA a trial....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login