Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Redo ablations done by Dr. Natale

Posted by Pixie 
Redo ablations done by Dr. Natale
August 11, 2021 11:38PM
Is it common to need more than one ablation done by Dr. Natale? I would be interested in hearing about your experience if you had more than one.
Re: Redo ablations done by Dr. Natale
August 12, 2021 09:04AM
I've had two by Dr. Natale but they were 13 years apart and not connected. Should I need a 3rd I'll have his soldering iron in my chest again.
August 12, 2021 12:36PM
Ggheld, thanks for the response. I will take 13 years!! I guess you are an avid believer of Dr. Natale!!
August 12, 2021 02:39PM
I've had 3 with Natale. He didn't do my first 2 though. First with him was very involved. The other 2 were touch ups.
August 12, 2021 06:33PM
Pixie,

I'm not an ablatee, but I've been a member here for 17 years, observing what people post on their ablation experiences. What I've observed with those who post about their Natale experiences is that a second or more ablation with him are generally due to:

a) Passage of time, where the illness progresses, as ggheld notes. Another member here, Jackie, had her first Natale ablation in 2003. When she was ~67 (I'm doing all this from memory, not rechecking actual facts). She had a Natale touch up around 2015 and then had her LAA isolated a year or two later. She's now ~85.

b) Commonly, Natale doesn't isolate the LAA on an index or first ablation, because of the consequences of 60% chance of needing either lifetime anticoagulation or the implantation of a Watchman type device. Hence this is commonly done on a subsequent ablation, if needed.

What I don't recall seeing is Natale having to "redo" previously done work, which can happen with other EP's.

George
August 12, 2021 09:08PM
Natale himself tells patients coming to him for a first ablation that the need for a second "touch up" procedure is always possible. Touch up ablations are generally much shorter and simpler, often involving only a burn or two. However, you're not a first ablation, so you shouldn't expect the need for an additional procedure. What he'll be doing is a touch up. So most likely he'll be able to fix whatever's incomplete from your first ablations and that will be the end of it.

That's how my story goes and a whole lot of others I've known who've gone to him to fix unsuccessful ablations done by other EPs.
August 13, 2021 10:20AM
rocketritch
I've had 3 with Natale. He didn't do my first 2 though. First with him was very involved. The other 2 were touch ups.

Pixie,

As I stated I've had three with Dr Natalie and two others with another EP.

Dr Natalie worked on parts of my heart that the former EP did not. That would be my LAA and my coronary sinus. My first with him was very extensive.

My second with a revisit to the LAA and coronary sinus touch up.

My third was a revisit to the LAA. My LAA is structured differently so he was unable to use tools he normally does when working in that area on me. Lucky me I also have five pulmonary veins.

Anyway, I wouldn't want anyone else other than Dr Natale working in my heart. Had I gone to see him initially instead of having the first EP doing a touch up I would only have had to have 4 ablations instead of 5.
August 13, 2021 01:38PM
Ive had 4 ablations. Last two by Natale Nov 2017 and April 2018. Natale told me a could need a third since he could not be "as aggressive as he wanted to around my coronary sinus." I'd go back in a heartbeat (no pun intended) if need be.
August 13, 2021 02:27PM
Thank you, George...your memory is amazing. I’ll clarify a bit.

My AF began 26 years ago in 1995 at the age of 59. I tinkered with various treatments for 8 years... and only in the last year of that 8-year search did I learn about the importance of making sure the heart cells had enough magnesium... and to stop taking those calcium supplements - recommended for post-menopausal women.

I had already seen Dr. Natale (in Cleveland) and had been given a future ablation date for six months out. November 2003... I was 67. Stopping the Ca and adding lots of the Mg did help stop the arrhythmia and I was tempted to cancel the ablation date... but because of a potential insurance change, I decided not to risk it. Went ahead with the ablation. An awesome experience. I couldn't believe I went home the next day in NSR and feeling really great.

Then, 11 years later at age 78, (June, 2014) I began having flutter arrhythmia. By then, Dr. Natale was in Texas and I was fortunate to get in via a cancellation (8/11/14) for the LAA isolation. However, on my flight home, I went back into flutter... and that continued on and off so I went back to Austin for the LAA touchup procedure. (4/3/15). Now, six years later, at age 87… My heart remains calm. I do take half-dose of Eliquis twice a day as prescribed by Dr. Natale. My LAA clearance velocity is good but he suggested it as a good precaution and while I don’t like using it because I have slightly low platelet count, we feel at my age, it’s a smart directive.
Thank you, Dr. Natale!!!

Jackie
August 13, 2021 06:18PM
I just had a video visit with him to discuss an ablation. I am complicated (congenital stuff.). He for sure didn't say one and done. He was quite up front about what he might do even in the first procedure. So if you visit with him via video first I would expect whatever he tells you for your situation would be truthful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login