Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rattana after Ablation

Posted by rattana 
Rattana after Ablation
August 09, 2021 04:08PM
Dear Afib friends,

I finally had my ablation procedure Tuesday July 27. (two weeks ago tomorrow) It lasted 3 hours and I was told that Dr. Jigar Patel said it all went very well.

My first prognosis of afib was end of January when my doctor sent me to emergency and I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights. 2 cardioversions got me out of afib for about a week each time. So I opted for the ablation and it took this long to get scheduled.

I am 77 years old, never been on medication accept armor thyroid 60 mg, haven't eaten refined sugar for over 30 years, practice kundalini yoga and meditation daily for 44 years. Basically healthy.

My question is about how I am feeling now, which is weak, haven't been for a walk which I used to do daily and no yoga at all. I just want to sleep.

My heart rate was normal for 4 days after the ablation and then it went into afib Saturday afternoon about 5:30 pm (146-161 hb) I was really surprised as I was feeling like the anesthesia was wearing off and that I would start to feel better.

I talked to the doctor's office on Monday and went in on Tuesday. HR was still 135-151.

Nurse practitioner said to take my last dose of metropolol 50 mg Tuesday pm and start on a new medication sotalol Wed am 120 mg am and pm. Sotalol is for lowering heart rate and rhythm.

The sotalol kicked in about Wed at 4:30 pm and I was in normal HR 71-67.

I have been in normal heart rate since then. (52-63)

I had ekgs at a local clinic wed, thurs, and Friday. I had to have help to walk. And I couldn't get up the one flight of stairs without stopping to rest.

I talked to the nurse Friday afternoon and she said to reduce the sotalol by 1/2 or to 60 mg am and pm. I am still in normal after the reduction 53-58 average.

The problem is that I am still very weak, have excess tiredness around my eyes and only really desire to rest. Once in a while I read and now I have forced myself to the computer to write you.

The reduction in dosage did not change in anyway my fatigue, which cannot be attributed to afib since heart rate is normal.

I am very careful not to lift anything heavy, stand too long, or do any yoga that could cause afib again. Yesterday I could make my food for the first time.

I don't experience any change, so I need some advise on what to do or not do. I can be patient for the the cauterizations to heal into speed bumps to prevent afib and know this can take 3 months. But something does not feel right.

Thank you very much!

Rattana :+)
Re: Rattana after Ablation
August 09, 2021 04:18PM
The sotalol is almost certainly the culprit. It's a beta blocker and as such it can suck the life right out of you. (It does for me.) Talk to the nurse about reducing the dosage further, or switching you to something else.
August 09, 2021 05:23PM
Thank you so much Carey! I will call the dr. office and ask.

What are other alternatives that don't suck the life out of you, but still stop afib?

I must need something to stop afib since I went back only 4 days after the ablation.

Did anyone else have the experience of going back into afib and then later staying in normal when the heart heals (without this harsh medication.)?

Thanks!
August 09, 2021 08:31PM
I just talked to the doctor's office and they said to stay on 60 mg 2 times a day for one month! Yikes. I might as well check out for one month. Rip van Winkle style. I do have an appointment next Tuesday the 17th, so I will ask again.

In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions on alternatives or any experience with lower doses please let me know. I asked and they don't suggest any alternatives.

Small amounts of caffeine from Blast Caps from Life Enhancement help me for an hour or two.

Thanks so much.

Many blessings,

August 10, 2021 09:26AM
I am just curious, did a doctor prescribe your armor thyroid? If not, you might run it by your EP. Just a thought...

Jeff
August 10, 2021 07:14PM
Thanks Jeff. Yes my doctor prescribed armor thyroid and has has me on it for years. The cardiologist reduced the dosage from 90 to 60 mg after I got afib and monitors the blood work. It seems to be a good dosage. Yes, always good to check these things. :+)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login