Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stopping NOACs

Posted by Brian_og 
Stopping NOACs
July 18, 2021 10:25PM
I have a question about blood thinners. I’m about to start Xarelto and have recently read about the dangers of stopping blood thinners for dental surgery or colonoscopies etc. It seems from my reading that the process of stopping them actually increases the clot risk more than usual. If you’re paroxysmal and not normally in AFib does it matter?

Also I’m assuming that I wouldn’t arbitrarily skip a day, but I’m sure that it might happen by accident.

I have paroxysmal AFib with episodes every 1-2 months. Just turned 65 with a Chads V of 1.

Thanks.
Re: Stopping NOACs
July 19, 2021 12:27AM
Brian_og
I have a question about blood thinners. I’m about to start Xarelto and have recently read about the dangers of stopping blood thinners for dental surgery or colonoscopies etc. It seems from my reading that the process of stopping them actually increases the clot risk more than usual. If you’re paroxysmal and not normally in AFib does it matter?

Also I’m assuming that I wouldn’t arbitrarily skip a day, but I’m sure that it might happen by accident.

I have paroxysmal AFib with episodes every 1-2 months. Just turned 65 with a Chads V of 1.

Not sure what you read about the dangers of stopping them being riskier than usual, but I don't believe that's been confirmed at all. The last I saw on that subject was pretty thin and unconvincing. People start and stop NOACs all the time.

You technically don't need to be on them at all. It's a judgement call for someone like you. I wouldn't worry about stopping them for a day or two for a dental procedure, colonoscopy, etc. Actually, I wouldn't even worry about stopping them for 5 days for surgery. When you're a CHADS-Vasc 2 you need to start being more conservative, but for now I don't think it's something you need to be super cautious with.
July 19, 2021 08:57AM
If you're concerned talk with your prescribing physician about a bridging protocol for a couple of days with Lovenox. Worked fine for me with dental surgery. Cardiologist and Endodontist talked and arrived at protocol.

You might be concerned about the amount of adrenalin the Endodontist wants to use during the procedure as that can speed up your heart rate.
July 19, 2021 03:47PM
Thanks for the info Carey.

Yes I realize as a Chads V of 1 it’s not entirely necessary, but my cardiologist was pretty actively lobbying for it so to be safe I’m going with it. Haven’t needed to see an EP yet but I now have an appointment with one. But the guy is super busy so it’s three months out.

Carey

Not sure what you read about the dangers of stopping them being riskier than usual, but I don't believe that's been confirmed at all. The last I saw on that subject was pretty thin and unconvincing. People start and stop NOACs all the time.

You technically don't need to be on them at all. It's a judgement call for someone like you. I wouldn't worry about stopping them for a day or two for a dental procedure, colonoscopy, etc. Actually, I wouldn't even worry about stopping them for 5 days for surgery. When you're a CHADS-Vasc 2 you need to start being more conservative, but for now I don't think it's something you need to be super cautious with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login