Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Positive for blood alcohol levels without drinking —tested while in afib

Posted by susan.d 
Positive for blood alcohol levels without drinking —tested while in afib
June 23, 2021 08:03AM
I had a blood alcohol test in the Er while being admitted for afib. Who knows why that test was given because I have not had a drop of alcohol since 2004. The Er dr never came into my room. He was sitting across the triage and said hello. That was my only contact.

I googled non alcoholic consumption reasons that could increase one’s levels. Carbs in diet, and this:
[sciencedebate.com]

Could bacteria and fermentation (yeast) in your GI guts trigger afib? I keep my carbs down to 120 a day.

I had an early nuclear scan imaging appointment yesterday at the hospital and only ate an unsweetened almond yogurt, 1/4 cups blueberries and a handful of low sugar gluten free cereal without milk. I developed afib with rapid hr on the way to the hospital. Too much carbs? The lab test was 7 hours later and that was all I ate.

Interesting if fermented food in ones guts is an afib trigger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2021 08:08AM by susan.d.
Re: Positive for blood alcohol levels without drinking —tested while in afib
June 23, 2021 10:59AM
People make small amounts of alcohol in their gut no matter what they eat. That's why pilots, truck drivers, and other safety sensitive jobs don't have zero as a blood alcohol limit. Yeast eat sugar, and carbs aren't the only sources of sugar (keto diets would be lethal if that were true). I seriously doubt that the tiny amounts of alcohol your body produces has anything to do with your afib.
June 23, 2021 11:52AM
I get it Carey but my results were considered high- past the range I had ALCOHOL (ETHANOL) BLOOD 10 mg/dL levels for my measly food intake.

So perhaps “for me” consumption of carbs resulted in my levels. Perhaps others too get afib from sensible low glycemic carbs.

Just saying…
June 23, 2021 12:42PM
Susan, your 10 mg/dL is very small compared to the guy in the article.

"to convert serum ethanol level to BAC, move the decimal point 3 places to the left. Example, a 100 mg/dL serum ethanol level is equivalent to a 0.10 (g/dL) BAC, or 0.10% (weight/volume)." From this: [emedicine.medscape.com]).

So your 10 mg/dL is = 0.01 g/dL or 0.01% BAC per Carey's point. Legal driving limit is generally 0.08% and 0.04% for pilots.
June 23, 2021 01:21PM
George- the results were in red with abnormal. Being sensitive I just wonder if carbs is a trigger. Many of my afib were from eating a meal rich with carbs. Once I had cereal with two pieces of toast. Now it’s only a half a bagel spaced out with my second carb.
June 23, 2021 02:59PM
susan.d
George- the results were in red with abnormal.

I have no idea why it was marked that way because the reference range for normal blood alcohol content is 0-50 mg/dL. Your results weren't abnormal at all. They were on the low end of the normal range.
June 24, 2021 05:09AM
Susan,
(This occurs when yeast overgrowth leads to ethanol fermentation in the gut). Please google (Auto brewery syndrome.)
Interesting

Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2021 05:52AM by ben saif.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login