Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is latest thinking on oils use? My Blood Report back

Posted by Poppino 
What is latest thinking on oils use? My Blood Report back
June 14, 2021 10:25AM
Since i have not been here for a while. What is the most recent recs of oil use: i currently use carlson cod oil. A tablespoon of olive oil and some nordic omega 3 ea day. No flax so safflower no mct So whats best??
Had a physical fri: cholesterol 176 triglycerides 56 vit D 76 but sugar 111 my potassium was 56! I eat alot of sweet things coconut water orange juice chocolate milk cookies dark chocolate some ice cream yogurt RX Bars etc etc. my wife on keto so im gonna lean that way some
And!!!
Is 48 hrs still a benchmark of safety before a clot can form or is an anticoagulant needed immediately now???

Tom
Re: What is latest thinking on oils use? My Blood Report back
June 14, 2021 12:24PM
Were you fasting prior to the blood draw? If so, that blood sugar would concern me.

The 48-hour rule was never based on sound science. It was more just clinical judgement aka educated guesses. I wouldn't rely on that. And for people who've had an ablation that isolated their LAA, and who either haven't had a TEE to verify blood flow in the LAA or didn't meet the minimum requirements, 48 hours doesn't apply at all. For those people there is no grace period whatsoever.
June 14, 2021 12:39PM
It was fasting. Did have 1/4 cup
Black coffee that am. Blood taken at 845 am
June 14, 2021 02:53PM
Poppino
potassium was 56

I assume you mean 5.6 mmol/L?

You might get a glucometer and start testing. I suggest, as a starting point, before, an hour after meals and an hour and a half after. If before is always the same, you can drop that. Then figure out when your max is after meals (and test then) and how different foods impact it. A good meter is this one: [shop.keto-mojo.com] It will also test ketones, with a different strip. I'm not suggesting you check ketones as you'll likely get a 0 result. Elevated glucose is a symptom. The real issue (for most who have a working pancreas) is elevated insulin. In many folk, they over produce insulin, but the body is insensitive to it. Going keto, like your wife, should change that. The presence of ketones means that insulin is low. Or said the other way, if insulin is high, ketones will be 0.

This is a 2015 interview with the then 95 year old Joseph Kraft. Kraft passed in 2017. A paper describing his work. Kraft's original paper from ~1974, redrafted.

Catherine Crofts of NZ used Kraft's data for her PhD thesis. Kraft suggested an oral glucose tolerance test, where you fast, test glucose & insulin, then take 75 g glucose and test glucose and insulin for the next 4 hours. You can order the test yourself [www.meridianvalleylab.com] and with or without a practitioner [www.meridianvalleylab.com] Crofts determined that testing insulin 2 hours after a 75g glucose bolus or a carby meal, could give nearly the same answer. If insulin was <30, you were good >50 bad , in between need more testing.
June 14, 2021 03:10PM
Thanks George im gonna change diet then see. Im a sugar carbs eater and drinker
No one in family has diabetes. My dad is 95 he eats donuts
My A1C was vg. At the gym so i dont have the number handy
June 14, 2021 04:21PM
Eating a high sugar diet doesn't cause high blood sugar 12 hours after your last meal. (Black coffee is just water so it doesn't matter.)
June 14, 2021 04:49PM
Carey
Eating a high sugar diet doesn't cause high blood sugar 12 hours after your last meal

A high sugar diet can cause insulin dysregulation, depending on the person. The blood sugar you have 12 hours fasted is provided by the liver. If your glucose is high, it can be that your insulin system isn't handling what is being produced. Either because you aren't making enough insulin or your cells are insensitive to what you are producing. If you are sick (or the body is under other stress), the liver can also be kicking out more glucose than normal. Fructose can directly cause issues with the liver and the pancreas. The liver processes fructose the same way it processes ethanol, you just don't get high and can be a cause of NAFLD (or now called MAFLD). That is the liver makes fat from the fructose: [www.nih.gov] Data from the MRI Centre in Newcastle UK suggest it only takes a few grams of fat on the pancreas to cause issue with insulin production. Excess intake of either can cause organ fat which is the real issue. Subcutaneous fat is relatively benign.
June 14, 2021 08:00PM
GeorgeN
A high sugar diet can cause insulin dysregulation, depending on the person. The blood sugar you have 12 hours fasted is provided by the liver. If your glucose is high, it can be that your insulin system isn't handling what is being produced.

That's my point. Something else is going on. Maybe the diet is part of the issue, but it's not the direct cause.
June 14, 2021 09:49PM
My Dr wrote that my A1c was low so no diabetes. Last year i was 122 so this yr 111. All my numbers cholesterol triglycerides D kidney were are ex
Hoping in Austin theyll figure everything out. I feel great so?
Still having 65 to 90 1 second jumps in resting HR but theyre lasting seconds now rather than 20-30 mins. My potassium 2 wks ago was 4.2 now 5.4 fri??? Makes no sense
I think labs vary
June 14, 2021 11:54PM
Your potassium levels probably bounce between 4.2 and 5.4 on a daily basis, if not hourly. That's perfectly normal. Your kidneys know what they're doing and your potassium levels will change rapidly on an hourly basis. Honestly, looking at two random snapshots in time days apart tells you absolutely nothing unless one or both measurements are way out of bounds.
June 15, 2021 08:03AM
Thanks Carey great answer id not thought of
June 15, 2021 02:23PM
Maybe try to cut down on your sweet tooth. For some the sugar acts up and can trigger af. It does for me so I consulted the Er doctors and they concur high sugar intake can trigger af.

Just saying…
June 15, 2021 03:07PM
I am. My wife does Keto so im gonna join at about 75%. I have no weight to lose
So i need calories just not sugar and tons of carbs. My md messaged me today saying they tracked 3 months of A1c??
And to forget it im nowhere near diabetes. My dad 95 eats donuts waffles and cookies
No one ever mentioned oils? Whats the consensus?
June 15, 2021 05:57PM
Poppino
My md messaged me today saying they tracked 3 months of A1c??

Glucose in your blood "glycates" or attaches to protein. When they do an A1C test, they test the percentage of hemoglobin that has been glycated. Something like 4.7% is spectacular, >=5.7% & <6.5% is prediabetes and >= 6.5% is diabetic (some entities use slightly different ranges).

This can be converted to an average 3 month glucose. An assumption is the life of your red blood cells. Genetics are involved here as are actual blood sugar in that in people with higher blood sugar red blood cells turn over faster and vice versa.
Joe
June 15, 2021 10:32PM
This by Peter Attia could help explain a little bit more?
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login