Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin D Levels and a Brazilian Study

Posted by mbd 
mbd
Vitamin D Levels and a Brazilian Study
June 11, 2021 10:20PM
First time post. Long time lurker. I have had Lone Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation for about 5 years. I’m now getting episodes every three or four months, they usually last 3-12 hours.

I am particularly interested in increasing my Vitamin D levels to help reduce the number of episodes. I am already taking 400mg twice a day of Mg. I had been taking 5000 UI of Vitamin D3 for 4 weeks and a subsequent blood test gave Vitamin D level of 35 ng/mL. Trying to figure out if I should target 65 ng/mL and the daily dosage of D3 to get there. Any guesses as to my Vitamin D level before I started with the D3 supplements?

Anyone have further information on the success for eliminating AF with this protocol (Steve Carr's).

I have also found a couple of interesting studies. Has anyone seen these before? Comments?

The first one is titled “Is there any Link Between Vitamin D and Recurrence of Atrial Fibrillation after Cardioversion?”. Published by the Brazilian Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery it associates higher vitamin D levels with no recurrence six months after conversion.
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

The second one is title “Seasonal Variation in Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation”. This links an increase in Atrial Fibrillation with winter. Has this been related to lower Vitamin D levels?
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Re: Vitamin D Levels and a Brazilian Study
June 11, 2021 10:38PM
mbd
I am particularly interested in increasing my Vitamin D levels to help reduce the number of episodes. I am already taking 400mg twice a day of Mg. I had been taking 5000 UI of Vitamin D3 for 4 weeks and a subsequent blood test gave Vitamin D level of 35 ng/mL. Trying to figure out if I should target 65 ng/mL and the daily dosage of D3 to get there. Any guesses as to my Vitamin D level before I started with the D3 supplements?

I didn't find the chart I was looking for. PC, MD has posted it here, but the , in his name stops searches from working. He got his data from grassroots health and you can look at some of their charts. I recall they were critical of many studies as the studies only looked at supplement amount consumed, not the resulting blood level. That varies widely, depending on the person. You can start here: [vitamindwiki.com]

I run my 25OHD level around 90-100 ng/mL per my doc. Not suggesting you do, but getting to 60ish, is probably wise.
Re: Vitamin D Levels and a Brazilian Study
June 12, 2021 05:33PM
I would suggest you also take vitamin k2 with Vitamin D. E.g.. 5000IU Vit.D and 180mcg of Vit.K2 daily.
Or to look into eating natto plus Vit.D. see this posting [www.afibbers.org]
You may find your afib events will get less or even stop.

Your Vit.D level is not far from ideal 40 ng/mL. Some people can't tolerate high levels (like 90-100) I can't.
You will need to try different doses to see what suits you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login