Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommendations for Magnesium

Posted by Sunshine13 
Recommendations for Magnesium
June 02, 2021 12:50PM
Hi everyone,
Has anybody been successful in taking magnesium to help curve a fib episodes ? If so , can you share what kind and brand and strength did you take . Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Recommendations for Magnesium
June 02, 2021 03:04PM
I NEVER had any type of Magnesium help “ curve” a AFIB episode. Now, I do take chelated magnesium (400-600 mg) daily and 400 mg of Magnesium Citrate daily because It is highly recommended on this website by some very smart individuals. I take it to bowel tolerance.
My Chelated Magnesium is Doctors Best brand and the Magnesium Citrate is the NOW capsule brand.
The only thing that “curved” my AFIB episode’s was a ECV(paddle shocking) and 2 Dr. Natale Ablations in Austin, Texas. The last Ablation was in July 2016. I am no so happy I stumbled upon this forum in mid 2013. Shannon took this Country Boy and led me in the right direction.
This website/forum is a Godsend to me and my wife. 😇
June 02, 2021 11:09PM
Afibbers will tell you to take the TRAACS formula for better absorption. Dr.'s Best has that, but when I took it for 3 months to bowel tolerance, my RBC Mg level stayed the same. I am trying to increase it because I'm still in a low range, just barely over the deficient RBC Mg of 5.5 Mg/dl. I understand that Designs For Health brand Mg lysinate glycinate chelate powder mixed in water is the best for absorption, or same company makes the same thing in a capsule. I have found that in my body, a capsule or powder is absorbed better than a tablet. I'm now reading my 4th book on Magnesiium and I learn more every time. I also use transdermal Mg on my skin 2X a day, and am looking for someone to give me Mg IVs. The best way to know if you need it is to get tested. I was sure my hubby was deficient because he has sleep problems, (a symptom of Mg deficiency), but he was right at the optimum level withough even trying!! If you want more info about the books, feel free to private message me.
June 03, 2021 09:23AM
Magnesium has been a core (but not sole) part of my afib remission program for nearly 17 years. In my case, any form works, I've successfully taken these: oxide, chloride, malate, glycinate, citrate, bicarbonate, acetate (I make the last two myself from magnesium hydroxide - milk of magnesia). I have a very large bowel tolerance (>4000 mg) and take the mag to near bowel tolerance. This is very individual.

LaniB's suggestion of glycinate products with the TRAAC's formulation is certainly a reasonable one. If you search Amazon for
traccs magnesium
you will see many options (ignore the sponsored ones).

I'd start low and work up till your stools starts to get loose, then back of a bit. Also, if you look at doseage on a product, many will say 400 mg, but the serving size is 2 or 4 capsules.

I should note, that if you don't have good kidney function, be careful. People with good kidney function will excrete any excess in their urine. Those who don't can accumulate magnesium, which can cause serious issues.
June 03, 2021 07:32PM
Smackman, thank you for taking the time to share your recommendations and detailed information . I sure will check into this . I absolutely agree with you concerning this forum . I too have learned a lot and there are a lot of lovely people on this forum who are willing to share there experiences to help all of us get a better grip on this disease . Thank you !
June 03, 2021 10:28PM
LaniB's suggestion of glycinate products with the TRAAC's formulation is certainly a reasonable one. If you search Amazon for
traccs magnesium
you will see many options (ignore the sponsored ones).

I personally like this one at Amazon:
[www.amazon.com]

I tried many and had GI issues but this one I found easy on my gut. I also recommend the EXA test for magnesium levels. It’s not a serum test. It’s tissue- you scrap the skin of your tongue and roof of your mouth. It’s not covered by insurances but it will give a recommendation for how much magnesium a day you will need. It computes your tissue stores of magnesium, potassium and other minerals.
June 04, 2021 08:17AM
susan.d,

With a doctor making the EXA test request and submitting the completed kit, costs are covered by Medicare.

LJ
June 04, 2021 10:52AM
Here is the link to the EXA test

[www.exatest.com]
[www.exatest.com]

LJ- you are right. Thanks for correcting me. I did goof. It was the Melisa test (metal allergies to alloys in the watchman, pacemaker or dental implants) that was out of pocket and not billable to insurances. They are located in Germany. Shipping was $98-99 dollars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2021 10:54AM by susan.d.
June 06, 2021 11:26PM
thanks so much LJ and Susan D for posting!!! I have not been able to find a Dr. who will order the Exatest, and it would be so great if Medicare covered it!!! I do have an appointment with Dr. John D Day who wrote "The Afib Cure" next week, so hopefully he'll be able to help me get the proper test!
June 07, 2021 12:51AM
Lani -I sent you a pn on who to talk to at EXA.
It’s an easy test. Here are the instructions:
[www.exatest.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login