Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Second ablation and taking Amiodarone

Posted by Mabmedz 
Second ablation and taking Amiodarone
May 27, 2021 11:50PM
Just had my second ablation and was given amiodarone to take since I’m still in afib, does anyone have any advise. Has anyone been on amiodarone before and did it help? Thanks!
Re: Second ablation and taking Amiodarone
May 28, 2021 12:46AM
Hi MM, welcome to the forum. Sorry you found the need to be here.

Sure, plenty of people here have experience with amiodarone. It's the heaviest hitter of all the antiarrhythmic drugs (AADs) and almost always helps for that reason. But it also comes with some pretty hefty side effects and so it's not something most people want to be on for any length of time.

Can you tell us more about yourself? It's hard to offer advice to people we know nothing about. For example, how old are you? Where do you live (country, region)? When did your afib begin? Is it paroxysmal or persistent? When was your first ablation? When was your second? What other meds are you taking and what were you taking before this ablation?
May 28, 2021 09:57PM
Thanks and I’m happy to share my info. I’m 61 and live in NY. I went into afib in 8/2020. I’m considered to be in persistent afib since After multiple cardio versions and an ablation in December I’m considered to be in persistent afib. I was on metoprolol until my second ablation this week. I’m now on amiodarone for the next 2 weeks but my heart rate is between 150-153. (It’s never been this high) I’m also on eliquis. Spoke with my doctor today and was told the amiodarone needs at least a week to take effect since my procedure was complex (51/2 hrs) my heart needs time to heal. He also said my heart rate should begin to lower within the next few days. I’m not feeling faint or weak but needless to say my anxiety is through the roof. I’m questioning if I made the right decision by having the second ablation. Oh and also should mention I tried Tikysen in March but had to stop due to prolong QT.
May 29, 2021 12:46AM
So I gather your doctor stopped the metoprolol and replaced it with amiodarone? And the plan is to just let you remain in that 150 bpm rhythm for a week or two until it kicks in? Have they said anything about a cardioversion to get you back in normal rhythm? You shouldn't be spending a week or two in tachycardia like that, not even days really. If just sending you away and expecting you to put up with this tachycardia for a week or two really is the plan, you need to get on the phone to them and tell them that's an unacceptable plan.
May 29, 2021 08:36AM
I had a cardio version right before I left the hospital and was back in nsr. However, my heart rate increased a few hours after I got home.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login