Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Follow Up Status from 3 weeks ago

Posted by BobsBeat 
Follow Up Status from 3 weeks ago
May 26, 2021 11:06AM
Hello all,

As a follow up to my "newly diagnosed" post a couple weeks ago, here is what happened:

May 2nd woke up with high erratic heart rate. These infrequent episodes in the past would resolve within 24-48 hours. This time it didn't and by the 3rd day I spoke with my Primary Care Doctor. By day 4 I was diagnosed with AFib and taking Eliquis 5mg 2x and Metoprolol 50mg 1x. On day 7 I went to the ER because I felt my HR was still too high and didn't want to wait until day 9 for my EP appt. During this week my HR was averaging 110 at rest (lower during sleep) with spikes of 150+ moving around.

I got admitted after the ER dropped my HR to under 100 with some diltz. I had a chest Xray (normal) along with tons of repeated blood work (normal) during my two day stay. The next morning, the staff Cardiologist ordered an echocardiagram and increased my metoprolol to 200 mg (from the 50mg I was on) and also put me on AAD Amiodarone 400mg.

My Echocardiagram came back normal with an EF of 66%. Within 24 hours I chemically converted back to NSR. I was discharged with a reduced med protocol of metoprolol back to 50mg 1X, Amiodarone down to 200mg 1X, Eliquis the same at 5mg 2X and a bump up in my statin med.

I've been having some odd intermittent chest sensations and wondered if anyone has any thoughts as to possibly what the cause may be. I have been in NSR now for over 2 weeks with a resting HR 55-60. Sternum esophagus area, especially lying in bed last night, slight burning. Also quick shock or stab like jabs below and above left breast area and sometimes on the right as well. Not constant but random. I had my follow up with the hospital doctor yesterday and he did not think it was heart related nor that I did damage being in AFib for a week. He is sending me for a stress test to rule out CAD for my benefit. I can currently exercise without breathing problems or pain. Also my ECG yesterday was normal.

The second question I had was the doctor wants to keep me on this medicine protocol for 3 months (he wanted 6 months at first) before stopping Amiodarone, Eliquis, etc. At that point we would see how I have done and move forward with possibly a PIP type program. I know Amiodarone is toxic and has a long half life, so this is not without concern from me.

Any input is appreciated. I never did make it to my original EP appt at MGH because I was in the hospital, but have plans to re-schedule.

My profile is male, 58yo, 215lbs (lost 13lbs over last 3 weeks and counting). My AFib history is paroxysmal events a couple times per year (over 5+ years) self resolving in 24-48 hours after a few drinks the night before.

Thanks - Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login