Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does anyone have a success story of having a 2nd ablation to share?

Posted by Mabmedz 
Does anyone have a success story of having a 2nd ablation to share?
May 03, 2021 09:47PM
I’ve been in constant afib for 8 months now. Had a number of cardio versions and only stayed in NSR for 2 hours. Also had an ablation, NSR lasted 2 days. Two months later I tried the anti arrhythmic drug Tikosyn. Unfortunately I developed prolong QT and the medication was stopped. I’m now scheduled to have another ablation the end of the month with another EP in NY. I’m hoping this time it’s successful. It appears I’m running out of options. Does anyone have an ablation success story to share?
Ken
Re: Does anyone have a success story of having a 2nd ablation to share?
May 04, 2021 09:58AM
"Success" stories generally mean that afib was stopped for an extended period of time. For me, my first ablation lasted 13 years, probably longer than most. My second is going well after 6 breakthroughs in the first few months, but now afib free for 9 straight months.

For almost all of us (speculation), afib will be back at some point, it's just a matter of how well the electrophysiologist has done his (her) job. Highly experienced ones provide better "success" stories. Expert repairs are done by the best "mechanics" and there aren't many in the best "mechanics" category in the US doing ablations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2021 09:12AM by Ken.
May 04, 2021 06:08PM
My first lasted almost 10 yrs. My second only a few months. However, my trigger lied beyond the standard PVI/Flutter burn areas where most EP's will venture.

This is where a more experienced EP is your best choice.
May 05, 2021 01:46PM
My 1st, 2nd and 3rd all sucked and I got worse because my EP was clueless. Dr. Natale did #4, I have been in NSR now for 4 years since.
May 07, 2021 12:14PM
Mine was done in 2003 by Prof. Haïssaguerre in Bordeaux and is still working after 18 years.

The most important thing is to go to a real expert. There are many EPs doing ablations who don’t have the experience and skill to be successful - it's a very difficult procedure to do well.

Gill
May 08, 2021 12:35AM
Thank you all for your feedback. I’ve been told my EP doctor is one of the best in NYU. I’ll let you know in 2 weeks after my next ablation. Wish me luck!
May 31, 2021 05:30AM
This is a fantastic result. Mine lasted 12 years, done in Bordeaux. I had 4th ablation in Adelaide done by doctor who wooed for 4 years with. Bordeaux team. 2005 first ablation in Sydney, complication, 2006 Bordeaux, 1 year, 2007 touch up Bordeaux, lasted till 2019, 2020 ablation in Adelaide. More extensive that both in France. I am doing well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login