Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atrial Fibrillation no better after second ablation

Posted by tallguy31 
Atrial Fibrillation no better after second ablation
April 30, 2021 03:28AM
Hello, everyone. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve relied on this website to get me through my episodes of atrial fibrillation. I thought it was time to create an account and post and share my story since I’m up again (at 2:35AM) in another episode of atrial fibrillation.

I began to have atrial fibrillation in my late 30s. It was a rare occurrence and maybe flared about once a year..if that. As i grew older the episodes were more frequent, about 3x a year. I noticed that the severity of the a-fib episodes was increasing as well. Early on I barely felt anything, but now it seemed that they were quite debilitating. In 2019 at the age of 54, I had a nasty episode of a-fib where I almost passed out. I went to the ER and was admitted. The cardiologist on duty referred me to the hospital EP and they said that ablation wouldn’t be a bad thing and my condition was only going to get worse. So, a month later I had the ablation done in the Fall of 2019. I knew what the odds were and decided to roll the dice. The surgery went well with no complications. A month or two after the surgery I noticed that I was having palpitations—mind you I NEVER had these before the surgery. A bump here, a bump there. Doc says this is normal as the heart heals. After two months I went into full blown atrial fibrillation again. You can imagine the disappointment I felt and I was assured this was normal and I was still in the “blanking” period.

To cut to the chase—after months of recurring episodes of a-fib and palpitations I decided to take my case to the Cleveland Clinic. They suggested another ablation would probably be in order so I had that done in November of 2020. Of course by now I’m thinking—this should do it! I’m done with a-fib! From what I’ve read, the second ablation is the “touch up” and the chances of recurrence are small. I was so hopeful...so eager to get this problem manageable and not worry about going into a-fib again...or at least reducing the number of episodes.

Well, I wish I had better news but it seems as if the problem just keeps getting worse. I almost feel as if I shouldn’t have had any of the surgeries because now I have more episodes than I did previous to any operations, and, palpitations were something I NEVER had before they started poking around in my heart. What used to be a 3x a year episode is now every 45 days with palpitations (skipped beats) in between. Needless to say I’m distraught over the entire process and keep wondering if it was really worth it. Should I have investigated medicating instead of surgery? 20/20 hindsight is sure bothering me now!

I know everyone’s case is different from what I read on here and I wanted to share my story. Now, let me see if can convert myself into a sinus rhythm so I can get back to sleep. A light cardio seems to do it. But alas, as I’m writing this post I just converted! Yahoo! This episode lasted only 45 minutes. Now....how soon will the next one occur? Lord, I hate living with this,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 03:40AM by tallguy31.
Re: Atrial Fibrillation no better after second ablation
April 30, 2021 10:15AM
I think some of us have been were you're at. I had my 1st 7 months ago but really had an experience so bad that I don't like talking about it. I am in NSR, no meds and just sent in my Zio. I follow George's guidance to a large part and am prepared to take flecainide PIP if afib returns. It is a mthrfckr. But it is what it is. I guess I would consider a 2nd if needed but I am hoping to milk this one as long as I can. At a certain age ~ 70, I'd just go anti-coag and take my chances (58 now) Maybe I'll feel different then, maybe there will be better techniques then. For right now, using Natale or one of the other leading EPs is probably the best one can do but even thing, the heart is a fickle thing and "Past success does not guarantee future performance." NSR today - fingers crossed and cautious lifestyle.

If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself. moody smiley
April 30, 2021 01:27PM
Been there but arrived via a different route. It was my second ablation that placed me in a similar situation to yours. Though my first and second were 10 yrs apart.

Were you on any antiarrhythmic's following either of your procedures?
April 30, 2021 01:47PM
It seems common having ectopics after ablation. IMO, it's because ablation is supposed to prevent afib. It does not cures the causes of afib.
So, instead of having afib, which can be dangerous, one can only have ectopics. Ectopics are usually benign, but they can be really awful. And, in some cases like yours (and mine), they can sometimes turn to afib.
We are not equal : symptomatic or not, disabled by meds or not, "ablatable" or not...
April 30, 2021 02:18PM
Pompon

You said "
So, instead of having afib, which can be dangerous, one can only have ectopics.

I know of people that have permanent AF and have lived with it for years and are doing ok, i had AF off and on for about 20 years before I went into permanent AF about a year ago. I didn't have ectopics, only had a few when i was in AF which usually lasted from 12 to 24 hours. ... We have a president who is in permanent AF and apparently is doing ok, we had a couple of past presidents who had AF, President Busch lived into his 90s. I understand that they only take/and took blood thinners and a antiarrthymatic drug. I think your statement of AF can be dangerous is not correct, seems to me that having an ablation can be quite troublesome.
May 01, 2021 01:36AM
I say it's common not as a scientific argument. I say this because it's commonly reported by paroxysmal afibbers having been ablated. Before ablation, no ectopics, but afib coming out of the blue.
After ablation, ectopics most of the times, afib from time to time or no more afib at all.
May 02, 2021 05:40AM
Pompon
I say it's common not as a scientific argument. I say this because it's commonly reported by paroxysmal afibbers having been ablated. Before ablation, no ectopics, but afib coming out of the blue.
After ablation, ectopics most of the times, afib from time to time or no more afib at all.

That’s me, no ectopics before ablation, now pretty constant, although they’re mostly pvcs which is odd as my ep said we didn’t go there
May 02, 2021 01:07PM
I've had PVCs during some weeks after each ablation (I've had four), and they each time became much less frequent after the "blanking period". Burns are hard for the heart, and even if they are made in the atria, I think PVCs are its reactions to the torture.
Are you still in your blanking period?
May 03, 2021 07:48AM
No I’m 5 years out from my ablation
May 03, 2021 10:50AM
Juggsy75
No I’m 5 years out from my ablation
Undoubtedly out of your blanking period. confused smiley
May 03, 2021 11:30AM
From reading the responses I see that everyone has had different results. I guess the heart is a fickle thing and I’ll just have to learn to live with it. Id hope the episodes weren’t so bad, it really takes me out. I get light headed, my chest feels like a frog is jumping around in it and I can’t sleep or concentrate. I wish I was one of those people that really don’t feel their arrhythmia. When I have my bout of a fib it feels like someone just unplugged me from the wall and I’m rebooting for an hour. Of course then the anxiety kicks in which doesn’t help. What’s odd is we can’t figure out what triggers it Caffeine, no caffeine. booze, no booze. Stress, no stress. It doesn’t matter. The electrical nightmare in my heart muscle just has a mind of it’s own.
May 03, 2021 09:35PM
I’ve been in constant afib for 8 months now. Had a number of cardio versions and only stayed in NSR for 2 hours. Also had an ablation, NSR lasted 2 days. Two months later I tried the anti arrhythmic drug Tikosyn. Unfortunately I developed prolong QT and the medication was stopped. I’m now scheduled to have another ablation the end of the month with another EP in NY. I’m hoping this time it’s successful. It appears I’m running out of options. Does anyone have an ablation success story to share?
May 04, 2021 02:31AM
tallguy31
From reading the responses I see that everyone has had different results. I guess the heart is a fickle thing and I’ll just have to learn to live with it. Id hope the episodes weren’t so bad, it really takes me out. I get light headed, my chest feels like a frog is jumping around in it and I can’t sleep or concentrate. I wish I was one of those people that really don’t feel their arrhythmia. When I have my bout of a fib it feels like someone just unplugged me from the wall and I’m rebooting for an hour. Of course then the anxiety kicks in which doesn’t help. What’s odd is we can’t figure out what triggers it Caffeine, no caffeine. booze, no booze. Stress, no stress. It doesn’t matter. The electrical nightmare in my heart muscle just has a mind of it’s own.

Nothing is 100% sure about AFib and its treatments.
Scientists know what it is, in many cases (comorbidities) they know its cause(s), most cases can be treated with meds, ablation and/or changes in life habits; but some cases remain deeply mysterious.

For me, ablation has been by far the most efficient way to releave my symptoms. I don't take meds anymore, they were strongly disabling for me and didn't have the expected effects on my HR.
Beside of that, I'm healthy and active, but I've a hard time bearing the stress and discomfort caused by my HR problems.

I'm now waiting for a quieter situation in the hospitals to plan for a fifth ablation procedure.
May 04, 2021 02:37AM
Mabmedz
I’ve been in constant afib for 8 months now. Had a number of cardio versions and only stayed in NSR for 2 hours. Also had an ablation, NSR lasted 2 days. Two months later I tried the anti arrhythmic drug Tikosyn. Unfortunately I developed prolong QT and the medication was stopped. I’m now scheduled to have another ablation the end of the month with another EP in NY. I’m hoping this time it’s successful. It appears I’m running out of options. Does anyone have an ablation success story to share?

Millions of people have ablation success stories, but they rarely share them here! It's the sad thing with such a forum: it's mostly visited by people having health problems. Other people enjoy life and forget about us!
Don't fear ablation: risks are low and success rates are high, particularly after a second (a "touch-up") procedure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login