Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bordeaux contacts

Posted by Gill 
Bordeaux contacts
April 22, 2021 10:34AM
My contact details for Bordeaux are out of date. Please can someone give me the name, email address and phone number of Prof. Jaïs's secretary?

Gill
Re: Bordeaux contacts
April 22, 2021 01:36PM
Gill
My contact details for Bordeaux are out of date. Please can someone give me the name, email address and phone number of Prof. Jaïs's secretary?

Gill
I suggest people do this via PM.

If you don't get a response, send PM me your email and I'll connect you with Mike F via email. I'm pretty sure he has current contact info.
April 22, 2021 05:56PM
Thanks George, will do.

Gill
April 23, 2021 01:21PM
For any others who need/want a Bordeaux contact for Prof. Haïssaguerre's secretary, I did get one from Mike & provided it to Gill. I will provide the email address to others if you PM me.
April 25, 2021 08:48AM
I believe Prof Haïssaguerre may have retired, and Prof Jais is now the head of the electrophysiology unit. The contact I have is for Jais' secretary.

[www.ihu-liryc.fr]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2021 01:41PM by GeorgeN.
May 02, 2021 08:50PM
I read a published article where he said he rethinking the burning of healthy heart tissue to prevent afib. Something about the effects on the whole heart in general. It was on the other afib website (stop afib) invite conference announcement that was shared here. He talked about LAA isolation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2021 08:58PM by susan.d.
May 03, 2021 06:12PM
I would be very interested to read the article if anyone can find a link.

Gill
May 04, 2021 04:58PM
Gil- here it is:
[a-fib.com]

Functions of the Left Atrial Appendage
Some question the need or benefit of removing the Left Atrial Appendage (LAA) if someone is no longer in A-Fib. For a patient made A-Fib free, would their heart function better or more normally if they still had their LAA? In the words of Dr. Pierre Jais of the Bordeaux Group at the 2020 AF Symposium, “We have ablated too much…Those patients when they have the (Left Atrial) Appendage taken out, they have very poor residual LA (Left Atrium) function. I don’t want that to happen anymore. If we can avoid it, I think we should.” Dr. Jais later added, “Sinus rhythm is by definition superior to persistent A-Fib. But the best ablation strategy is the one that restores sinus rhythm at the least tissue cost, thereby preserving as much as possible the LA function.”
May 04, 2021 09:06PM
We're mixing things up here a bit. He wasn't talking about ablating the LAA in that article; he was talking about preemptively closing it or removing it during surgery. For many years it's been common practice for heart surgeons to suture the LAA closed or even remove it during open heart surgery. It's also common as a part of Maze procedures, usually by using a closure device like the AtriClip or LARIAT. It's one of those "The patient might not actually need it, but as long as we're in there" kind of things. So he's questioning that practice and voicing some common sense thinking about not destroying more tissue than actually needed to fix the AF. Whether he's right or not remains to be seen, but I don't think the data lean in his favor at this point.

But snipping off or closing the LAA is very different from simply electrically isolating it via ablation. For example, my LAA was isolated in my 2017 ablation because it was the source of my 250 bpm flutter. Easy choice. He could either isolate it and stop my flutter with a few burns or leave me with intractable flutter that could only be stopped with an AV node ablation and dependence on a pacemaker for life. So he did just enough burns outside the opening of the LAA to block the errant impulses coming from it. My LAA continued to function afterwards, but at a marginally reduced pumping ability. I noticed absolutely no reduction in exercise tolerance after that procedure. (HA HA! Trust me, anything improves exercise tolerance compared to a heart rate of 250.)

As for the ANP issue, that's of no real concern because the RAA (right side appendage) takes over and produces all the ANP you need.
May 04, 2021 09:45PM
Gill
I would be very interested to read the article if anyone can find a link.

Gill

He wasn’t specific. Just an interest of the article I had recalled about Jais mentioning destroying good heart tissue.
May 04, 2021 10:08PM
"the best ablation strategy is the one that restores sinus rhythm at the least tissue cost, thereby preserving as much as possible the LA function.”

I'm guessing the top EP's agree with this.

The people I know personally who've had their LAA isolated (in all cases by Natale) are happy with the result and don't seem to have materially reduced function. Their status, as Carey notes for himself, is significantly better after the procedure than before.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login