Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gas and afib - double whammy

Posted by ElectroBlu 
Gas and afib - double whammy
March 30, 2021 04:51PM
Howdy all

Does anyone else get gas when they are afibbing?

I know there's literature and posts about the relationship between afib and the stomach. Many are concerned with acid reflux or gastro issues. However, Im referring to something very different.

Im talking about having gas either just before the start of an episode (like a warning sign) and then continuously for the duration of the episode. Its almost as if my body wants to correct the irregular beat through a burp or hiccup. Be curious to know if this double displeasure is shared with other folk?

Thanks
Re: Gas and afib - double whammy
March 30, 2021 05:01PM
ElectroBlu
Im talking about having gas either just before the start of an episode (like a warning sign) and then continuously for the duration of the episode. Its almost as if my body wants to correct the irregular beat through a burp or hiccup. Be curious to know if this double displeasure is shared with other folk?

Some people have noted that gas may be a vagal trigger for them. If it is happening before your episode, perhaps for you, too?

Activated charcoal is a reasonable remedy you could take either to get rid of the gas or as a preventative.
March 30, 2021 05:37PM
Welcome to my world of vagal triggers. Vomiting is a vagal trigger for me as well as getting af after dinner and sitting/slouching on the couch. In the past if I threw up (pre-covid with 100% insurance) I would head to the ER and ask to be on monitoring because back then I wasn’t on a NOAC and wanted proof I was in nsr the prior 48 hours to increase the options of conversion. Sure enough I would go into af with high tachycardia once monitored. They knew me by then and would know I was prone to AF so I was humored with monitoring while vomiting.

The past 3-4 flutter/STV/ atrial aberrant tachycardia I had severe GERD like 9/10 pain during the tachycardia. At first I thought it was GERD but the intensity and location of the pain suggested a speculation that it could be angina...which it was after a nitro and the pain improved.
March 30, 2021 07:10PM
Several times while watching TV at night while feeling bloated I've gone into AFIB. The bloating could be gas or from eating too big of a meal. Luckily these non-sleeping AFIBs for me were short lived. I've found that simethicone (found in DiGel) does a great job of eliminating the bloating either from gas or a big meal and hence the associated afib.
March 31, 2021 02:40AM
GeorgeN

Activated charcoal is a reasonable remedy you could take either to get rid of the gas or as a preventative.

I just happened to purchase some activated charcoal today. Don't really know how to use it. Got it as universal antidote to poisonings/overdoses. How do I take it to address gas? Dissolve in warm water and drink? How much?

I am someone who definitely feels that post-meal bloat (which usually involved gas) can be an fib trigger for me - pressure on vagus nerve. I have tried many products and eating strategies to reduce bloat and/or gas. Nothing warked at all, including things like simethicone, beano, antihistamines, digestives aids, low histamine diet...

kim
March 31, 2021 03:01AM
[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Be aware of your decision to take charcoal if you are taking flecainide

Other drug interactions:

[www.mayoclinic.org]
Gives dosing and list of drug interactions

[www.drugs.com]
Read the professional tab

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 03:14AM by susan.d.
March 31, 2021 04:45AM
I've ALWAYS this bloated stomach while in afib. Same when I have repeated ectopics.
The phenomenon stops in the same time as HR troubles.

I've recently had complete stomach and bowels exams, and everything is normal. LES weakness is even not mentioned. I believe it's returned to normal because now I've got rid of those stupid PPIs I took for a while.

It's common thinking it's caused by stomach issues, but IMO it's not. As we often experience that after meal, we of course tend to think it's related, but I doubt about it.

Here are the circumstances I may have ectopics, bloated stomach and sometimes afib :

- After meal, except if it's a very very light meal.
- As soon (barely a couple minutes at max) as I lay down in bed (I'm used to go to bed 3-4 h after my last meal).
- If I wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep. I feel right at first, then ectopics and bloated stomach come together.
- When leaving bed in the morning. First body movements are crucial. It's wise starting slowly and avoiding leaning forward, crouching and the likes...
- When starting exercise abruptly.

I think it's caused by an easily disturbed autonomic nervous system. My vagal tone is my crazy monkey (a wink to this Carey's analogy).
April 05, 2021 09:10PM
susan.d

Rockstar Susan!!!
April 05, 2021 09:21PM
Thank you NLAMA :-)
April 06, 2021 09:18AM
susan.d

Other drug interactions:

[www.mayoclinic.org]
Gives dosing and list of drug interactions

[www.drugs.com]
Read the professional tab

Activated charcoal will absorb many things and drugs. It is why it can work for digestion. Taking it near in time to taking other meds is not a good idea.
March 15, 2022 04:56PM
GeorgeN
Some people have noted that gas may be a vagal trigger for them. If it is happening before your episode, perhaps for you, too?

Thanks for that tip. I am a big fan of charcoal. I get my charcoal from Charcoal House
Charcoal may work due to lowering toxicity or 'Histamine?' to a point the body is not overwhelmed and can do what it alone does best heal the body. ( The late and great Raymond Francis had wonderful teaching on lowering toxicity and shoring up deficiencies.. )

I know that gas can be helped by eating the less dense foods at a meal first then rest of meal consumed in order of density.. A practice of Natural Hygiene back from the 1970's. They also suggested proper food combining for gas and indigestion.

I have also used a mix a 'chew of herbs
1 Tablespoon of each:
Anise
Fennel
Caraway Seeds
Dill
Take a large pinch or 1 Teaspoon and chew in mouth.

These have worked for me.

My loved one has had bad gas for many years and has had 6+ years of debilitating bouts of Afib, (2 Ablations, 9+Cardioversions and lots of doctors and Pharma and Supplements ) but we have never tried to remedy digestive gas which might be a trigger. We know MSG, caffeine, alcohol and high Tyramine rich foods 'Cured Foods' are a trigger for his Afib so I strongly believe Histamine Intolerance big is a factor. I am also very suspect of Sugar, Carbs, Gluten and Grains ( 'No Grain, No Pain' by Peter Osborne DC) , SEED OILS (Dr. Chris Knobbe MD - 'Diseases of Civilization: Are Seed Oil Excesses the Unifying Mechanism?' YOU TUBE- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGnfXXIKZM ) and the factor of Why We Get Sick. by Benjamin Bikman Phd) https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Sick-Disease_and/dp/194883698X ... About Blood Sugar dysregulation caused by Insulin Resistance.

GeorgeN are you the fellow who here on afibbers.org forum who suggested Histamine Intolerance as the cause of your Afib??????

I believe in seeking health that God has provided in grace.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login