Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weaning off meds - 4 months of NSR

Weaning off meds - 4 months of NSR
March 16, 2021 02:01PM
Not asking for medical advice but hoping to get some ideas about what is possible or standard when weaning off meds.

Ablation Aug 2020
ECV Nov 13
NSR last 4 months

Taking these

Eliquis 5mg BID
Flecainide 150mg BID

One of the things I'd like to do is possibly

Cut flecainide and eliquis by half.  

And transition from flecainide to multaq at some point  

What's possible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2021 02:01PM by NotLyingAboutMyAfib.
Re: Weaning off meds - 4 months of NSR
March 16, 2021 02:30PM
150 BID is the maximum dose. Perhaps ask your NP to try weaning down to 100 BID and test the waters before stopping altogether?

IMHO I wouldn’t risk lowering the Eliquis unless your NP or Dr Natale tells you to. I begged my local EP on the 5 months after my first ablation (no af for the entire time) to cut down to 5mg. He said no. I’m lucky I listened because on my 6st month I wore a Holter and had 3 episodes of non symptomatic af without knowing at night and by my 7th month my frequent violent af kept returning. I’m happy I was protected by taking the correct dose.

But everyone is different. Maybe you will be ok with a half a dose of Eliquis but is it worth the low risk of a permanent stroke by stopping too soon? You could regret your decision.
March 16, 2021 04:26PM
I got the plan from Dr N's staff -

Wean off Flecainide next 2 weeks. Continue Eliquis, do Ziopatch, analysis of that and decide Eliquis.
March 16, 2021 07:38PM
I wouldn't be in a hurry to ditch the Eliquis. I doubt Natale will be either.
April 09, 2021 06:47PM
You seem to be right on schedule, Natale wants his patients to stay on meds 6 months after ablation (if no issues), then wean off, and if no problems, stay off. If you have no issues, they will take you off the Eliquis too I bet.

Does your history above reflect that you had some afib in the blanking period (Aug-Oct)?
April 14, 2021 01:12AM
I think they do for has a different approach depending on the case. I was off Flecanaide for 6 weeks posts ablation. I was reduced from 100 to 50 my and in a week I was off it. My current issue is that cardio wants me to stay on Xarelto blood thinner.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login