Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Higher HR During Sleep

Posted by deanpaul 
Higher HR During Sleep
March 01, 2021 04:25PM
Has anyone experienced continual higher heart rates during the night vs daytime rates?
Post-ablation (14 weeks out) my daytime RHR averages mid-60's but for past 10 days it averages mid/high-70's at night with spikes around 90+. It's not a big difference but I wake up at every spike and sleep quality has been poor.
I'm taking Propafenone again for AF relapse and my EP said I could take Metoprolol if necessary to lower HR in order to sleep. Seems like a lot of medication.
My anxiety is running a bit high due to AF relapse and because episodes normally occur at night.
Re: Higher HR During Sleep
March 01, 2021 05:56PM
Yes that does/has happen to me often and i am 2.5 years out of my suc. ablation.
The 1 simple thing that helps me is drinking a lot of water in the 1-4 hours before i go to bed...as in about 6 cups worth and my heart purrs at about 60 bpm all night.......at the price of course of a high urination rate but a top cut plastic milk jug on the side of my bed provides me with a quick solution to that before lying back and instantly cont. my sleep.
March 01, 2021 06:00PM
Thank you for the suggestion. I do drink a lot of water during the day and normally have to get up twice during the night. But I'll try some more.
March 01, 2021 06:58PM
In my case, as a non-ablatee without meds, higher heart rate at night is related to food I consume during the day. Dr. Coca published this book (link in PDF form) in 1956. Basically he suggested taking your pulse before eating and 30/60/90 minutes after. If you saw > 6 BPM increase, you were sensitive to something you ate and you'd have to eat foods by themselves to figure it out (I created a Google sheet I could access on my phone to track). Two years ago, got an Oura ring and had deep sleep of 0-3 min/night. I did some testing (an old style radial pulse with my fingers averaged it out and worked better than an instantaneous pulse with a device). I found some things I was consuming that had non-subtle increases: 15-25 BPM. Before eliminating, had an average overnight pulse of 64 on a random night. A couple months later, after working on this project, had an average overnight pulse of 45 (no change in exercise). My deep sleep went to between 30-90 minutes, a huge change for me.

It is an ongoing project, but when I line it up right, my pulse is much lower and deep sleep much better.

Coca said that what people are sensitive to is highly individual.

I also do breathing exercises. I found that 3 rounds of Wim Hof breathing, followed by slow, light breathing to replete CO2 will sometimes drop heart rate materially (5-10 BPM) - Wim Hof is known to help "reset" autoimmune function. Here is an example of waking up, doing this combo and going back to sleep:

March 02, 2021 05:54AM
Check your cortisol levels which could be higher than normal in the evening.
November 27, 2021 10:06PM
GeorgeN
In my case, as a non-ablatee without meds, higher heart rate at night is related to food I consume during the day. Dr. Coca published this book (link in PDF form) in 1956. Basically he suggested taking your pulse before eating and 30/60/90 minutes after. If you saw > 6 BPM increase, you were sensitive to something you ate and you'd have to eat foods by themselves to figure it out (I created a Google sheet I could access on my phone to track). Two years ago, got an Oura ring and had deep sleep of 0-3 min/night. I did some testing (an old style radial pulse with my fingers averaged it out and worked better than an instantaneous pulse with a device). I found some things I was consuming that had non-subtle increases: 15-25 BPM. Before eliminating, had an average overnight pulse of 64 on a random night. A couple months later, after working on this project, had an average overnight pulse of 45 (no change in exercise). My deep sleep went to between 30-90 minutes, a huge change for me.

It is an ongoing project, but when I line it up right, my pulse is much lower and deep sleep much better.

Coca said that what people are sensitive to is highly individual.

I also do breathing exercises. I found that 3 rounds of Wim Hof breathing, followed by slow, light breathing to replete CO2 will sometimes drop heart rate materially (5-10 BPM) - Wim Hof is known to help "reset" autoimmune function. Here is an example of waking up, doing this combo and going back to sleep:

[i.ibb.co]

I was looking for anything people wrote on the Oura ring.. so I guess first a question on that (if this note doesn't go to the abyss because it is so old LOL!). I am in constant afib- I am working diligently on my sleep- but I am wondering if the Oura could help me with that even though I am in afib (hopefully will be fixed next year ..early).. also this is FASCINATING on the BPM with food. I need to look into this more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login