Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

spironolactone (aldactone) vs. Lasix

Posted by bettylou4488 
spironolactone (aldactone) vs. Lasix
February 28, 2021 09:24PM
I have a long complicated history (which I have somewhat shared before) and after my last thing (aortic stent.. aneurism.. another covered stent) they wanted me on Lasix so I have done that 2 years now this May. This ins't directly related to afib but kinda sorta because of the whole potassium thing. One drug they said they wanted me to consider was alcactone/sprionolactone. I searched in both forums and just found one reference to it. My BNP numbers before the stent were below 100.. after the stent 130 ish. ejection fraction is normal but I have another pressure number that is super high. Anywho.. I was thinking that aldactone was like a 'big gun' but in talking with someone else it maybe is a better deal than Lasix (even considering afib- because it is potassium sparing.). I do eat a fair amount of potassium rich foods but I am curious if anyone is familiar with it and how they compare.

Thanks
Re: spironolactone (aldactone) vs. Lasix
March 01, 2021 01:44AM
I've taken both. I spent a year or two with each of them both as a BP med and an intentional attempt to maximize my potassium levels.

The big difference between spiro and Lasix is Lasix is much faster acting. Lasix will remove in a few hours as much water as spiro will all day. So I definitely wouldn't call spiro the "big guns" as compared to Lasix. Quite the opposite, really.

Spiro is also potassium sparing, as you noted, so that's mostly good if you have afib (and normal kidney function). Lasix will tend to excrete potassium while spiro will tend to retain it. Both will cause you to excrete salt, which is why I can't take spiro anymore. Even just a normal BP dose made me hyponatremic after a few weeks.

I think you're just going to have to try it and see what happens because results can vary so widely from one person to the next.
March 01, 2021 12:30PM
Thanks. you put my mind at ease to at least trying. I wonder if you can take Spiro on and off like the Lasix. I think I'll give it a go at least. I am so leery of docs and their meds LOL!!! And I actually do trust my primary adult congenital cardiologist. thanks again for input.
March 01, 2021 08:15PM
bettylou4488
I wonder if you can take Spiro on and off like the Lasix.

Well, you could, but that will just lower your blood volume and BP while you're taking it and the day after stopping it you'll gain all that water right back and your BP will go right back up. Why would you want to do that?
March 01, 2021 09:10PM
Carey

I wonder if you can take Spiro on and off like the Lasix.

Well, you could, but that will just lower your blood volume and BP while you're taking it and the day after stopping it you'll gain all that water right back and your BP will go right back up. Why would you want to do that?

IDK I was thinking how I do the Lasix on an "as needed" basis. I guess Spiro isn't the same..
March 02, 2021 08:27AM
Well, they're pretty much the same except lasix works faster and leaves your system faster. But over the course of a few days the end result will be the same. I'm not sure what you mean by "as needed" in the case of a diuretic, but I suppose you could do the same. Just don't expect as rapid results.
March 04, 2021 09:01PM
Carey
Well, they're pretty much the same except lasix works faster and leaves your system faster. But over the course of a few days the end result will be the same. I'm not sure what you mean by "as needed" in the case of a diuretic, but I suppose you could do the same. Just don't expect as rapid results.

I guess I'm saying that as needed- some days I need a diuretic but some days not. I did have my card appt and he discussed with me specifically why they use Spiro (for folks like me). I am going to give it a go but he said I might still need the Lasix. it is easy enough to stop so I figure it is worth a try for what I have going on. I resisted BP meds for soooooooo long. and the general population can control BP somewhat with diet and supplements but I was ignoring my anatomy and now am sad I didn't just take a small amount that I am now maybe even 10 years ago. I am all for more natural stuff but medicine can be helpful for sure.
March 04, 2021 11:57PM
Well, the diuretic that's almost always the one used "as needed" is Lasix. So maybe that's what your doc meant about still needing it: Spiro for daily use and Lasix on occasions when you need more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login