Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dental surgery

Posted by Didi 
Dental surgery
February 22, 2021 02:40PM
Since my laa was ablated during last ablation _ what is protocal for dental surgery?
Thanks!
Re: Dental surgery
February 22, 2021 03:36PM
Since you are on blood thinners the dentist with close holes after extraction ect. right away with stitches compared to letting them heal on their own.....since i don't know what your procedure is that's all can tell you as i had a tooth pulled while taking Xarelto in my blanking period....he also put something in the hole before sewing it up to stop any excess bleeding i guess...it was painful though as i have had teeth pulled without all this and it was easier/less painful to recover later but that's the price we pay for being on blood thinners when seeing a dentist...they must see a lot of us because they know exactly what to do as a part of their regiment...they take it very seriously.
February 22, 2021 05:34PM
I always ask for linocaine “plain” instead of the linocaine with epi which races my heart.
I believe the linocaine with epi has a red and white label while plain label is white with either blue or green. I always glance over to confirm. Twice the dentist didn’t forget but the assistant did and had the with epi syringe prepared. I thought it’s worth mentioning...

Every brand may have a different color marking. Below is the difference yet one brand has red and also green.

[postimg.cc]

Same with dermatology mole removals my dermatologist knows to give me plain.
February 22, 2021 08:58PM
susan.d
I always ask for lidocaine “plain” instead of the lidocaine with epi which races my heart.

I also ask for this. Without epinephrine, it is not as effective nor does it last as long. I know this and am willing to put up with these limitations to mitigate afib risk.
February 23, 2021 01:09AM
Since Didi mentioned her LAA being isolated I think she's asking about the protocol for doing dental surgery while on anticoagulants.

That's a tricky issue for people who've had their LAA isolated during an ablation if they either don't know how well their LAA is pumping afterwards or don't meet the minimum numbers required to come off anticoagulants. If you're one of those people, then the answer is you shouldn't stop your anticoagulant for a single day without clearing it through your EP first.

Don't expect surgeons and dentists to understand this. If they refuse to do a procedure because you won't stop an anticoagulant, get on the phone to your EP and have them send their bridging protocol to the surgeon. Let them work it out and refuse to stop the anticoagulant until they do.
ron
February 23, 2021 01:34AM
After my LAA was ablated and I was on Eliquis, I had 2 teeth pulled and implants put in without stopping the blood thinner. It may not be a problem for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login