Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would this super cheap smart watch be ok as heart monitor?

Posted by PoetKim 
Would this super cheap smart watch be ok as heart monitor?
February 22, 2021 12:38PM
An afib person on another group bought this this $39 smart watch, compatible with i-Phone 5, and says "works marvelous, does everything an i-watch 5 does and more for way less $."

[grabtheiwatch.com]

I am so clueless about wireless technology because I own none by choice.

1. does it look like this watch would be useful for identifying afib? for distinguishing one type of arrhythmia from another? eg, afib vs aflutter vs ectopics?

2. do i need a second device to use it like phone or tablet, which i don't have? or can i read everything off the clockface?
Re: Would this super cheap smart watch be ok as heart monitor?
February 22, 2021 01:53PM
PoetKim
1. does it look like this watch would be useful for identifying afib? for distinguishing one type of arrhythmia from another? eg, afib vs aflutter vs ectopics?

For what you are asking, you'd need a heart rate monitor that records beat to beat. Can't tell if this does that. Most monitors present an average beat. An ECG device (like Kardia) is better than a heart rate monitor. The advantage of heart rate monitor is you can monitor over a long period of time - like overnight. With beat to beat, you can learn to distinguish ectopics from afib. With beat to beat heart rate monitor data, the defining feature of afib is the with range and randomness of the beat rate. Atrial ectopics usually have one or more beats in between at a baseline rate. At least on Polar heart rate straps, PVC's aren't seen, so the beat rate of a PVC is 1/2 that of the surrounding beats. Flutter typically presents with a very steady beat rate - with even less variability than normal heart rate variability.

We discussed this at length in these two Conference Room Sessions in 2006:
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

As a part of the second, UK optometrist and afibber, Mark Robinson, contributed a huge number of samples of various arrhythmias here:
[www.afibbers.org]

PoetKim
2. do i need a second device to use it like phone or tablet, which i don't have? or can i read everything off the clockface?

You might be able to see heart rate, but likely not a recordinging over time as discussed above. Hard to say as the description of the device is very sparse. If the device works???? It would likely need to communicate with a phone app.

I would think your fingers on your radial pulse would do as good a job on afib, though ectopics can sometimes confuse. Fingers on pulse would not help with flutter, though a very steady rate >= 100 is likely flutter (a steady ~75 could also be flutter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 01:56PM by GeorgeN.
Re: Would this super cheap smart watch be ok as heart monitor?
February 22, 2021 02:04PM
Thank you George! That's all quite helpful (as always! ). I will check out the links to the other discussions on our site. I think for now I will stick with my low-tech tools of fingertips on radial pulse, stethoscope, and fingertip pulse oximeter. "Stone knives and bearskins" as Bones on Star Trek would say when he was asked to doctor in some primitive society.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login