Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question abt properly reading a magnesium label for dosage as well as types of mag.

Posted by LaDonna 
Question abt properly reading a magnesium label for dosage as well as types of mag.
February 11, 2021 01:58PM
Morning folks, I need a little help understanding how to properly read my magnesium supplement label if any of you can break it down for me. I take a magnesium glycinate suppliment. On the front of the bottle it says 665 mg 120 capsules. On the back under information it says "Take one tablet 3 x daily. Then for suppliment facts it says "One tablet has 120mg 29% from 665 mg magnesium glycinate Chelate buffered - magnesium bisglycinate chelate, magnesium oxide. So, how much magnesium am I actually getting? I tend to take two a day, one in morning and then a magnesium taurate at night, but I realized I dont know really how much I am actually getting? Also, I am contemplating trying a new magnesium type "threonate". Since breast cancer treatment I have had a bit of a head tremor and I am hoping by figuring out what levels Im actually taking and such of trying the threonate as it says it crosses the brain barrier and may help with nervouse system type stuff as well as memory etc... Anyhow, thank if you can help me understand the labels, dosing and what Im trully getting.

Blessings All!
Re: Question abt properly reading a magnesium label for dosage as well as types of mag.
February 11, 2021 06:09PM
You are getting 120mg of elemental magnesium from the 665mg tablet. The standard for magnesium supplementation is 400mg/day, so the three tablets get you to 360mg which is close. Of course, many of use opt to supplement much more than that and you can do the same if you wish using the 120mg of elemental magnesium per tablet as your reference for that particular brand. Other brands will vary, so you need to read each label carefully.
Re: Question abt properly reading a magnesium label for dosage as well as types of mag.
February 11, 2021 07:48PM
Hey, thank you, sorry I'm not familiar with all of the lingo... what does opt stand for? And then, if that is correct abt the dose per tablet, I'm not getting enough or at least close to the 400 a day. I have been taking one of those in the morning which would be the 120mg and then 2 mag. taurate at night which has 200 mg in the two caplets which would put me at the 320mg total. So I either need to up my dose of glycinate maybe two in the morning or one more in the afternoon would put me at 440mg if I do that. Also wanting to try the magnesium threonate see if it helps a head tremor that I have had.
February 11, 2021 10:19PM
LaDonna
what does opt stand for? .

Opt=make a choice from a range of possibilities.
February 12, 2021 08:26AM
Oh my gosh.. duh!! thank you george, laughing at myself right nowsmiling smiley Ya know you get to see all of these shortcuts people take on writing things and I wasn't even thinking hahaha!! Oh well, have a chuckle at my expense. So will keep exploring magnesium and see if more makes a difference for me, especially after chemo and afib.
Blessings!
February 12, 2021 08:55AM
LaDonna
Also, I am contemplating trying a new magnesium type "threonate".

LaDonna, the L-Threonate form typically is expensive for the amount of magnesium you get. From what I understand, if you take a little of the L-Threonate version, it will help magnesium from other forms get across the blood brain barrier.

In my afib experience, pushing the amount of magnesium I take to near bowel tolerance is a big part of my afib remission strategy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login