Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Technical issue Afibbers Forum

Posted by Lorraine 
Technical issue Afibbers Forum
February 07, 2021 10:03AM
I can log in to the forum on my laptop.
However, I cannot log in on my iPad.

I use the exact same login details so it's very puzzling.
Why would the system recognize it from one platform but not the other?

Could this issue somehow be a result of the upgrades to the site?
Re: Technical issue Afibbers Forum
February 07, 2021 11:54AM
That's very strange, and I don't see how the site upgrade could be involved. Are you sure you don't have Caps Lock on or something like that? Passwords are case sensitive.
February 07, 2021 01:27PM
Caps Lock was not one. I tried several times being very careful. Hubby then tried on his iPad. Neither works.

Strange that I used to be able to log in on the iPad and now I can't. So that's why I thought it might have to do with the site upgrade.

Is there someone else on the forum with an iPad who could test it out to see if they have the same issue.
February 07, 2021 05:07PM
I couldn't log in with my bookmarked link to this site this morning. And I couldn't log in with just "afibbers(dot)org" in search engine. In both cases I got connection error message that firefox doesn't like security certificate. It did not give me option to go forward anyway. I had no way in.

HOWEVER... when I then googled "afibbers forum", i was able to click on that link and get in. So I have now bookmarked that (new?) link to this forum.
February 07, 2021 06:50PM
Depending on when you tried to login it's possible you tried when the site was being worked on. It was inaccessible for a while today.

And the iPad problem might also be due to the upgrades after all.

We hope to have these last lingering nits fixed this week, hopefully by tomorrow.
February 07, 2021 07:08PM
Every time I post a comment on any post, a message comes up telling me

"The information you have sent over this page will be sent over an insecure connection and could be read by a third party. Are you sure you want to send this information?"

Then I have to click 'continue' to actually post it. Seems kind of like an unnecessary encumbrance but perhaps mandatory aspect of the new software. idk

Much thanks to Shannon and Carey for all the work upgrading this site!
February 07, 2021 08:41PM
PoetKim
"The information you have sent over this page will be sent over an insecure connection and could be read by a third party. Are you sure you want to send this information?"

Then I have to click 'continue' to actually post it. Seems kind of like an unnecessary encumbrance but perhaps mandatory aspect of the new software. idk

It is an SSL Certificate issue & I'm sure web designer, Naomie, is working on it. It is an issue integrating the new afibbers.org with the older forum. Some of our pages must begin with http:// rather than https://

I get "The information you have sent over this page will be sent over an insecure connection and could be read by a third party. Are you sure you want to send this information?" when I try to log in on Safari on my Mac. Also with Firefox on the Mac. Firefox, Opera & Chrome on Mac let me log in, Safari won't. I haven't opened up the Windows side of my Mac to play with it. Safari & Chrome on my iPhone won't let me log on either.

Changed password. Works on Opera, Chrome & Firefox on the Mac, not on Mac Safari or either Safari or Chrome on my phone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2021 08:53PM by GeorgeN.
February 08, 2021 12:37AM
GeorgeN
It is an SSL Certificate issue & I'm sure web designer, Naomie, is working on it. It is an issue integrating the new afibbers.org with the older forum. Some of our pages must begin with http:// rather than https://

Yep, exactly right. It's no secret that the forum software is rather dated and needs to be upgraded, so getting it to behave nicely with newer technologies isn't easy. Updating the forum software will be project #2 somewhere down the road (don't worry -- that definitely won't happen until the current upgrades are fully debugged and working flawlessly for everyone for at least several months).

On the positive side, I noticed while posting this reply that two bugs I had reported have already been fixed. And on Super Bowl Sunday, no less! It probably helps that Naomie is Canadian. winking smiley
February 08, 2021 07:21AM
I’m writing this via Safari on my iPad.

Gill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2021 03:26PM by Gill.
February 08, 2021 08:54AM
The issues I noted above were fixed when I checked this morning.

I want to encourage everyone who can to donate to the project (including lurkers who get value), I have. Afibbers.org is a non-profit, 501(c)3. Many thanks to Shannon and Carey who are out the other end of the afib pipeline, but continue to devote themselves to this project! There are real costs to running this including but not limited to: paying for hosting, SSL certificates, and web designer, Naomie. Much of this has come out of Shannon's pocket.

Donate with PayPal

or credit cards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2021 06:55PM by GeorgeN.
February 09, 2021 05:54PM
Hi Folks

The forum should be working pretty smoothly now... as the fundamental conflict between having a lot of much older instances of original 'HTTP' still floating around our forum servers, that wasn't playing nice with the new secure version of HTTPS, has largely been resolved.

And yes, it would have been infinitely easier to have blown up the original website and start over from scratch, but we wanted to honor all the original archival data too, and that certainly made our job a much bigger challenge!

Nevertheless, I trust that the past issues of the last two weeks should be mostly behind us now ... and by this time next week it should all be smooth sailing ... if not a good deal sooner!

Cheers!
Shannon

PS ... if you noticed, the entire website is now fully secure as indicated by the little 'Lock icon' in the URL box and the HTTPS on each website section ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2021 05:59PM by Shannon.
February 09, 2021 07:10PM
Wonderful! Good work! Thank you. smiling smiley
February 11, 2021 06:13PM
I had an issue trying to post from the iPad's Safari browser last weekend. Don't know if this is related to the HTTPS protocol or not, but suspect it may be. I'm posting now from Microsoft Edge on a PC. I haven't tried the iPad again. I'll do that next time.
February 11, 2021 08:46PM
Several people had problems with iPads, but they've all reported those problems are resolved now, so I expect (hope) you'll get the same results.
February 16, 2021 08:44PM
I just posted this from an iPad, so it seems to be good now,
February 17, 2021 08:16PM
I can log in now on my iPad. However this warning message displays right after I hit the submit button: “Possible hack attempt detected. The posted form data was rejected.”

To get past this warning I have to click on the afibbers forum button and then I’m in.
February 18, 2021 05:40PM
Would it be possible for you to send me a screenshot of this warning you get?
February 18, 2021 07:50PM
Well I’ll be darned, when I logged in just now I didn’t get the warning this time. It appears that the issue cleared itself.
February 18, 2021 07:57PM
Lorraine
It appears that the issue cleared itself.

Those are my favorite kind!
February 18, 2021 10:18PM
Lorraine
Well I’ll be darned, when I logged in just now I didn’t get the warning this time. It appears that the issue cleared itself.

Maybe it was a cache issue and the cached info got cleared, so OK now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login