Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metformin Study

Posted by bettylou4488 
Metformin Study
February 02, 2021 04:34PM
So... I scheduled an ablation for a few months from now. I got a call from the office they are doing a study and looking for participants of patients having an upcoming ablation. The study is with Metformin. They have done a survey of diabetic patients at the hospital and seen that metformin did decrease their a-fib. Looking into research they found animals and found studies done that Metformin keeps animals out of afib. So they are doing a randomized study- and I won't know if I'm getting it or not (50/50) . I am curious to do this because I want to get off dofetilide. Primarily I want to get off this because of the QT interval. The one antibiotic I don't have allergies to is.. zith. (of the ones I tried.). Also with the covid--- if I were to get it those drugs that help increase the QT. Of course my hope with the ablation is to get off it as well. Anywho... I searched and found one thread where it has been studied that it works as well as amnioderone. (sp??). But curious anyone else that has heard of this?? The study is for a year. So a year post ablation. (Of course I can quit... but I don't want to go into it with that mindset unless there is a real reason.) Edit.. they are looking for non-diabetic patients for the study to see if it works similar in those with diabetes.

Thanks all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2021 05:00PM by bettylou4488.
Re: Metformin Study
February 02, 2021 04:44PM
If you are diabetic, then why not just get metformin prescribed? It is not expensive and is pretty safe. There are also lifestyle things that you can do that are compatible with metformin. See here.
Re: Metformin Study
February 02, 2021 04:58PM
I am not diabetic. They are looking at non-diabetics for the study. Sorry should have made that clear. But good point about using the GP. I just don't think they would prescribe it for me. (I am over 100 for my numbers but barely.).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2021 04:59PM by bettylou4488.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login