Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introducing our new Redesigned Afibbers.org website!!

Posted by Shannon 
Introducing our new Redesigned Afibbers.org website!!
January 17, 2021 05:40PM
Dear Afibbers!

It is our pleasure to debut our modern, responsive redesign of Afibbers.org's new home!

As the 21-year-old longest-running AFIB-centric patient education and advocacy website, we chose an expansive and inviting natural landscape photograph to color our homepage banner rather than using a medical or clinical motif, as is more often the choice for such a resource.

And as noted in the 'Welcome letter' just below our homepage banner, we made every effort to carry-over and include the vast majority of our rich historical archival data within the new website. And with all of your, our readers, help we look forward to collectively continuing our mission into the truly exciting future of AFIB treatment and care.

Another prime goal was to ensure the new site is easy to navigate, and for you all to feel right at home ... and we hope to have met both of these goals in your eyes!

While the majority of the new website now runs on a Content Management System called Tilda (which is not unlike WordPress), it won't take long for you all to discover that both our Afibbers and General Health Forums remain just as they have always been ... from the beginning!

At some point in the future we may revise our forum platform as well, but with a still fully functioning forum system, we felt it the better part of valor not to introduce too many major changes all at once.

We have also added three flexible donation options as our only means of support. Over the past two-plus years, we did not actively recruit donations while applying for... and being granted in October 2019 ... an IRS 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit status for our formal entity: 'The AFIB Report, A Non-Profit Corporation'. We thus chose to debut both the new website and our 501(c)(3) tax exempt status at the same time ... starting today!

And many thanks to those who have continued to offer unsolicited donations during the past couple of years, we greatly appreciate your contributions during this time.

All the Best,
Shannon and Carey

PS We have just a few minutes ago launched the new website!! It is all working as expected and the URL will show fully secure HTTPS:// .. confirmation within 24 hours ...Yippie!! .. Enjoy!
Joe
Re: Introducing our new Redesigned Afibbers.org website!!
January 17, 2021 06:40PM
Thank you soooo much Shannon and Carey for your work!
Finding this website with it's collective knowledge and experiences completely relaxed me about my afib. Prior to this i only had a Cardiologist and 2 EPs; i don't won't to disparage them but they did little to help, the Cardiologist even 'helped' with a nocebo by telling me: 'If i sat in your chair i'd be very concerned'!
January 17, 2021 07:13PM
And for those of you who come straight to the forum and never actually visit the homepage, just click the orange "Afibbers.org" button at the top of your screen, or just click here. You might want to look around and find out how much you didn't realize was here.
January 17, 2021 07:37PM
Thanks for all of your work, Shannon & Carey!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 07:03AM by GeorgeN.
January 17, 2021 09:10PM
Thank you Shannon and Carey.

I truly appreciate your efforts and dedication. Wonderful!!!!

The 'new look' and features are great and the results of your hard work and all those hours are awesome.

Congratulations!

Jackie
January 17, 2021 10:27PM
WOW!!! So impressive! Thanks Shannon and Carey and everyone I don't realize is helping with this amazing resource that helped me through my husband's and brother's Afib years and now mine!

Karin
January 17, 2021 11:28PM
Spectacular, my heart is racing! Thanks to all of you who made and make it possible.
January 17, 2021 11:56PM
GeorgeN
Assume in ~24 hours when its fully live - still looks like the old site right now.

Ah, yeah, should have mentioned that. Due to DNS caching (technical mumbo jumbo you don't care about), the changes won't be visible to everyone right away, might take a day or so. Check back tomorrow if it looks the same to you.
January 18, 2021 03:22AM
Good Monday Morning Folks!

We noticed a couple of minor glitches during this first 24 hours after the launch of the new website that I wanted to make you all aware of and share some temporary easy workarounds while our web designer, Naomie, sorts out these last few small kinks over the coming few days.

1.The bolded three lines of text at the top of the original Afibbers Forum homepage can't be updated until we locate the editable HTML for this older home page. Once Naomie locates this one page within the ISP server files and can then edit its HTML, she can then update these short three lines of text so that it read as follows:

Welcome to Afibbers Forum and General Health Forum
Serving Afibbers Everywhere since 1999!
Moderated by: Shannon Dickson and Carey Gregory

This issue will show the correct text above once the issue has been fixed and there is no need for any action by our readers.

2. Also at the top of the original Afibbers Forum homepage are six horizontal yellow bar links. The first of these six links with a minor glitch is titled: AFIB Resources. By clicking the yellow AFIB Resources link a much older version of the AFIB Resources list of articles will open up. However, the content of each article remains exactly the same as is found in the more updated style of these AFIB Resource articles. Nevertheless, once this minor issue is fixed the more modern styling for this link will automatically be shown.

Temporary workaround for AFIB Resources glitch: You can directly access the most up-to-date version of AFIB Resources by clicking the Research link at the top righthand side of the Waterfall banner photo on the main new homepage. Once inside the Research section, you will see the updated AFIB Resources located in the top middle window of this section.

3. The second yellow horizontal bar link on the original Afibbers Forum homepage with a glitch is located just to the right of the AFIB Resources link and is titled: AFIB Database ... simply clicking this yellow bar link will return you to the main new homepage where you can access all new links to the website.

Temporary workaround for the AFIB Database glitch: Once back to the new home-page simply click the white Database link at the top right-hand side of the Waterfall photo and you will enter the entire new Database section.

I trust these tips will help smooth the transition to the new site, while we clean up these few minor issues.

Shannon

PS ... a quick way to return to the main new website homepage from the original older Afibbers Forum is to simply click the top tab of the browser window labeled with a teal blue single EKG 'R-wave' symbol just before the title 'AFIB' to bring you right back to the main website.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 09:37AM by Shannon.
January 18, 2021 08:15AM
This looks fantastic everyone. Congratulations on the successful conversion and modern updates. And Shannomn, I see that hummer you snuck in there smiling smiley
January 18, 2021 08:48AM
Looks amazing...very clear and concise. Thanks for all you do to keep us calm and informed spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Missed a couple of beats on first view.
January 18, 2021 08:57AM
In case anybody else runs into this, when I load afibbers.org from Chrome browser on my Mac (my normal browser), it loads the old site. Other browsers on my computer load the new site. I'm guessing it is a cache issue.

This link should load the settings to clear the browser data - you need to clear cached images and files.
chrome://settings/clearBrowserData

The new site looks awesome!!
January 18, 2021 09:55AM
Thanks George,

About your not seeing the new website from your version of Chrome browser. I do get the full new website when launching from my Chrome browser on my Macbook Pro ... as well as from Safari and Firefox browsers that I also have on my computer... it looks like my version of Chrome is a newer version Chrome Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (x86_64).

Can you please tell me which version of Chrome you have??

Cheers!
Shannon
January 18, 2021 10:27AM
Excellent news! Thank you!
January 18, 2021 11:52AM
walt
Spectacular, my heart is racing! Thanks to all of you who made and make it possible.

This is NOT the effect anyone wanted!!!! LOL
January 18, 2021 12:01PM
Regarding our new videos section, our web designer let me know that there seems to have been some regional outages this morning on Youtube.

And since all of our videos are hosted on our Youtube channel, as such, if you happen to be in one of the current Youtube blackout regions you will likely not be able to launch any of the videos until these regional outages are fixed.

Naomie can watch the videos from her location in Canada and one other forum member said they too could launch the videos successfully this morning, but I still cannot pull any of the videos up even after doing several refreshes of the browser. over the last 4 hours since 6am Mountain Time in Arizona.

At least at this point, it doesn't seem this issue has anything to do with a not uncommon website launch glitch. thumbs up

Cheers!
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 12:03PM by Shannon.
January 18, 2021 04:35PM
Shannon
About your not seeing the new website from your version of Chrome browser. I do get the full new website when launching from my Chrome browser on my Macbook Pro ... as well as from Safari and Firefox browsers that I also have on my computer... it looks like my version of Chrome is a newer version Chrome Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (x86_64).

Can you please tell me which version of Chrome you have??

Shannon - it is current: Version 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (x86_64)

It is a cache issue. As posted above, the cache needs to be cleared to fix the problem: this link should load the settings to clear the browser data - you need to clear "cached images and files".
chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
January 18, 2021 04:44PM
Hi Andy,

Yes, I figured you would spot our pal 'Sparky' right away ... he is a male Anna's Hummingbird that has called our yard home for the last three years, and I took that photo from inside our living room looking out onto our side porch last December 2019, just after a good snowfall.

Many of you Afibbers know that Magdalena and I are big Hummer fans and cater year-round to making sure our tiny migrating friends remember our home and large wooded yard as an official Hummer Haven! :-) They are our number one hobby and I figured everyone will smile when spotting little Sparky!

Cheers!
Shannon
January 18, 2021 05:16PM
There's Shan.... setting up the forum for a bunch of hummer jokes.

I'll pass.

This time.
January 18, 2021 09:58PM
Thanks Shannon! I read an interesting article under your AF database —“BNP and safety of cardioversion”

“ Even more significant was the difference in BNP level. Patients who had been in AF for less than 48 hours (presumably all paroxysmal) had an average BNP level of 960 pg/mL, while those who had been in AF for more than 48 hours had an average level of 3695 pg/mL. No patients with a BNP level less than 304 pg/mL had been in AF for more than 48 hours.”

Interesting. My first >200 hr af after my last ablation showed BNP labs normal at 69mg/ml —3-4 hours after onset of AF.

My last ER I was in high tachy with angina so I just immediately took a Lyft to the ER. Score was considered high at 149pg/ml. Not as bad as 304 described in your database. Comforting my score was considered high but it really isn’t as concerning when compared to 3695.

Very interesting info you included in the website! Treasure of valuable information and topics. Thanks again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 10:29PM by susan.d.
January 19, 2021 02:03PM
I access the forum via Safari on my iPad. Still looks the same as before. What am I doing wrong?

Gill
January 19, 2021 03:00PM
Gill
I access the forum via Safari on my iPad. Still looks the same as before. What am I doing wrong?
Gill

Gill go here: [www.afibbers.org] The forum - message board has not changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2021 03:01PM by GeorgeN.
January 19, 2021 03:18PM
Gil- me too. Try Chrome.
January 19, 2021 04:55PM
As George said, nothing has changed about the forum (where you are now). The changes are to the main page and its sub-pages only. Click here to visit the main page.
January 20, 2021 03:51AM
Awesome new look!!!!
January 20, 2021 05:13PM
Hi!
The launch of the new site is really beautiful.
Thanks for all of your hard work.
January 21, 2021 09:55AM
Thanks George.

Gill
January 21, 2021 06:56PM
Looks great! NIce job Shannon!!!
January 22, 2021 06:55PM
Thanks all for the many replies and we're very glad so many of you enjoy the look and feel of the new website!

I'm very grateful that it's all done as well, and look forward to more Afibbers discovering our little oasis within the online AFIB universe!

Cheers!
Shannon
January 24, 2021 02:03PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you to both Shannon and Carey!! The site looks amazing! I so appreciate all you do for the support of the entire AF community!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login