Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Potassium monitoring Cardy Meter

Posted by LaniB 
Potassium monitoring Cardy Meter
December 30, 2020 07:25PM
Does anyone use a Cardy Meter to monitor thier potassium? I found this on Amazon, but reviews aren't great
HORIBA LAQUATWIN - B-731 Potassium LAQUAtwin K-11 [www.amazon.com]

Is there a better product out there, if so, know where I can get one?
Re: Potassium monitoring Cardy Meter
December 30, 2020 07:48PM
Wow. I could use an accurate gadget. if you read the reviews the tabs are $66-100 extra. Then the Horiba Potassium Ion Sensor S030 Replacement is $135-150.

The professional monitor (different company) will put you back $1600.

I’m interested if anyone has a reliable calibrated monitor.
December 30, 2020 08:51PM
LaniB
Does anyone use a Cardy Meter to monitor their potassium?

Back in the day, a number of people did, see this.

I think the product has changed since then. It was the smart people at the Periodic Paralysis Association [www.periodicparalysis.org] that figured this out. Changes in serum potassium levels can cause them to "freeze." I know that Shannon & Carey did this at one time. One of the take aways, as I recall, is that large bolus doses of potassium get excreted in the urine quickly, in a person with healthy kidneys. This is one reason I put my 2 tsp of potassium citrate powder (4g potassium) in a liter of water and consume or sip over the day - my version of time release.
December 30, 2020 09:02PM
I owned one for several years and have used it extensively (sold it a few months ago on eBay). First, ignore the negative reviews. It's a perfectly accurate, reliable device. Most of the negative reviews are from people who didn't understand they were buying a laboratory instrument, not an Apple Watch.

But the real question is why do you want it? What are you expecting to gain from it? It's not a simple device that will tell you your potassium levels without some significant investment in education, expenses for supplies, and learning some basic lab skills. You have to really want to know your potassium levels to make this investment worthwhile.
December 30, 2020 10:26PM
If you are on sotalol this monitor saves potassium lab work. The last two labs the waiting room was packed and not social distancing friendly. That would be a good reason to buy this if you are on sotalol and need to monitor your K.
December 30, 2020 11:20PM
Thanks everyone, I just want to know how low I am, and don't want to go too high taking my teaspoons of Potassium Citrate. (about 1,700 mg) Since I started taking it, my mysterious nervy/itch feeling in my left thigh disappeared, Then came back when I sweated in a sauna, went away again after a few days, then came back after a strenuous mountian biking work out. Maybe a signal from my nervous system that I'm running low on electrolytes? I used to have that "itch" when I was in AF, and not when I was in NSR. I don't want the AF to come back!
December 31, 2020 12:37AM
susan.d
If you are on sotalol this monitor saves potassium lab work. The last two labs the waiting room was packed and not social distancing friendly. That would be a good reason to buy this if you are on sotalol and need to monitor your K.

Susan, I used that device multiple times per day for over 2 years and I think your view of it is unrealistic.

It's not a simple device you can just buy and magically start measuring your serum potassium levels. You need to learn how to use it, you need to get a lab to verify and calibrate your readings, you need to buy calibration fluids, you need to learn how to calibrate it, and you need to develop the discipline of calibrating it every single time you use it. Then you need to learn how to convert the PPM of potassium in your saliva that the meter reports into mmol/L of potassium in your blood serum. And once you've done all that, I guarantee no doctor or clinic will accept your results.

I seriously doubt anyone here would benefit in the least from owning this meter.
December 31, 2020 01:21AM
Well Carey after your explanation I totally agree it’s not for me. I thought it was as simple as a glucose monitor with an instant score. Thanks for educating me.
December 31, 2020 01:48AM
So as the same explanation applies as above which I am now educated (thanks again) - this monitor would also not work instantly for someone not trained to calibrate and correctly produce accurate results?
[www.hannainst.com]

Shame there isn’t an accurate non calibration required potassium monitor for laymen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 01:49AM by susan.d.
December 31, 2020 08:18AM
LaniB
Thanks everyone, I just want to know how low I am, and don't want to go too high taking my teaspoons of Potassium Citrate. (about 1,700 mg) Since I started taking it, my mysterious nervy/itch feeling in my left thigh disappeared, Then came back when I sweated in a sauna, went away again after a few days, then came back after a strenuous mountain biking work out. Maybe a signal from my nervous system that I'm running low on electrolytes? I used to have that "itch" when I was in AF, and not when I was in NSR. I don't want the AF to come back!

I'd just gently experiment with more K citrate when you have that feeling. Assuming your kidneys are in good shape (since you mention strenuous mountain biking- I assume this is true), should not be a problem. They will excrete any excess. Years ago I took a bolus dose of 10 g of potassium (don't recall the form) without issue. A month or two ago, I inadvertently put 2 TPL of K cit in my water - 12 g of potassium - and consumed over the day without issue. The taste was bit salty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2020 08:20AM by GeorgeN.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login