Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question re second ablation

Posted by stranger 
Question re second ablation
December 17, 2020 06:59AM
I need a second ablation in Bordeaux which I'm hoping I can arrange in the next few months if Covid restrictions and leaving the European Union on 31st December allow.

My problem is that there is no way where I live of having a TOE done in the week before the op.

Bordeaux will do a CT scan when I get there as a substitute but if it shows a blood clot in the heart they will not be able to do the operation.

Will starting an anti-coagulant mean there is no possibility of a clot and how long would I need to be on it to be sure?

Thanks

Sam
Re: Question re second ablation
December 17, 2020 07:35AM
Please explain your situation to Bordeaux. Ask them if due to your circumstances the test can be done just before your ablation. smiling smiley
December 17, 2020 11:21AM
Sam, you need a second ablation and you're not already on an anticoagulant? If you have enough AF to consider another ablation, you should almost certainly be on one and if you're not, you need to get on one ASAP. The usual time period required to be sure any clots that exist have dissolved is three weeks on an anticoagulant, so you should have plenty of time.
December 17, 2020 09:51PM
Would they recommend both and anti coag like eliquis 5mg BID and anti platelet like 81mg ASA BID?
December 18, 2020 12:47AM
Doubt it. I've never heard of anti-platelet drugs being used for that purpose. It's usually just an anticoagulant for 3 weeks followed by a repeat TEE to make sure the clot is gone. I don't think an anti-platelet drug like aspirin brings anything to the table in this situation.
December 18, 2020 07:07AM
Thanks for the replies!

Carey - after episodes two days running (the fourth and fifth episodes since my June 2018 ablation) I started Flecainide 50 mg twice a day and this has kept me in NSR since 17th March.

Sam
December 18, 2020 04:24PM
That's great! But I take it that means you're not taking an anticoagulant? What's your CHADS-Vasc score?
December 19, 2020 06:12AM
I'm going to be heading back to Bordeaux in the new year too Sam - again as soon as Covid-19 considerations permit - owing to post-PVI (Aug 2018 - i.e. a month or two after you) focal atrial tachy issues. I'm taking 2.5mg Eliquis BID already as an anticipatory precaution and will up that to 5mg BID as soon as I get a date. I too can't get a TEE of CT here in the UK - even privately - and will instead have the CT scan at Bordeaux when I get there.

Cheers,

Mike
December 19, 2020 10:44AM
Carey - not using an anti-coagulant at present but will be using the same system as Mike.

I've forgotten my chad score but it was very low and Prof Jais said I didn't need an anti-coagulant except for the first couple of months after the ablation.

Sam

P.S. Might see you in Bordeaux, Mike!
December 22, 2020 03:50PM
Mike and Sam

Please keep posting here about your plans. My husband might be heading for Bordeaux in the near future so it would be really useful for us to know the details. Much will have changed since my ablation there in 2003.

Gill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login