Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Age And Ablation

Posted by ggheld 
Age And Ablation
November 17, 2020 07:34PM
I have followed this group since before my first ablation by Dr. Natale in 2007, which lasted until recently.

I am now 83 y/o, with persisitent Afib starting about a month ago. Since my diagnosis on October 29 I have had a 48 hour Holter monitor and and Echocardiogram, (normal). I have no other current serious health issues.

My cardiologist is recommending and I am taking Eliquis for a month then will add Flecainide, which I took successfully in 2006/7, to see if I convert to NSR then to add a Cardioversion if needed.

I would prefer to go directily to an EP, perferably Dr. Natale, and get on his schedule for another ablation.

I haven't seen much on this group over the years of people over 80 getting ablations and the success rates of them. In 2007 they preferred to not do them on patients over 80 but ablations were still pretty new then.

Does anyone have any direct experience in this area or know of data available on this subject?

Thanks, Gordon
Re: Age And Ablation
November 17, 2020 09:49PM
ggheld
I haven't seen much on this group over the years of people over 80 getting ablations and the success rates of them. In 2007 they preferred to not do them on patients over 80 but ablations were still pretty new then.

Does anyone have any direct experience in this area or know of data available on this subject?

I'm pretty sure Shannon has commented about Natale doing ablations on folks in late 80's, early 90's. I believe Jackie is 84 and her most recent Natale ablation was ~5 years ago, so close to 80.

"My cardiologist is recommending and I am taking Eliquis for a month then will add Flecainide, which I took successfully in 2006/7, to see if I convert to NSR then to add a Cardioversion if needed.

I would prefer to go directly to an EP, preferably Dr. Natale, and get on his schedule for another ablation."
Could you pursue both tracks simultaneously?
November 17, 2020 11:33PM
Welcome to not 2007! smiling smiley There is no age cutoff for ablations, particularly with Natale and comparable elite EPs. If your individual health situation is up to it -- and it sounds like it is -- it should be no problem at all. In the meantime, your cardiologist's plan makes sense.
November 18, 2020 12:08PM
Hi Gordon... George is correct... my last ablation was in 2015 ...that was a touch-up to the LAA isolation 7 mos. earlier by Dr. Natale and I was 79. I had no hesitation as I was in otherwise good health and if I had to go today, at age 84, I still would not hesitate. My heart remains calm and I continue take supportive nutrients to help not only my heart, but the rest of my body to age in a healthy manner..... along with Eliquis. I encourage you to make the contact to be scheduled with Dr. Natale.

Best to you,

Jackie
November 19, 2020 09:05AM
Yep, Carey, your advice makes sense and looks what'll happen in my case.

I've checked all 3 of Natale's hospitals and they're all booked through at least January so I have time to continue with my Cardiologist's protocol until then. Interesting that they all operate completely independent, at least as far as organization, paperwork and personnel.

To go to Austin they want me to plan to spend a week on travel and the treatment. It's good that they'll do the evaluation and treatment on the same visit.

Sounds like paperwork flurry time for me next.

Fortunately I'm mostly asymptomatic so waiting is not at bad as it could be.
November 19, 2020 10:20AM
ggheld
Yep, Carey, your advice makes sense and looks what'll happen in my case.

I've checked all 3 of Natale's hospitals and they're all booked through at least January so I have time to continue with my Cardiologist's protocol until then. Interesting that they all operate completely independent, at least as far as organization, paperwork and personnel.

To go to Austin they want me to plan to spend a week on travel and the treatment. It's good that they'll do the evaluation and treatment on the same visit.

Sounds like paperwork flurry time for me next.

Fortunately I'm mostly asymptomatic so waiting is not at bad as it could be.

Try Los Robles. I was lucky to get an ablation three weeks the first time and 3-4 weeks the last time.
December 08, 2020 12:13AM
Jackie
It's Aldona here. I am having ablation on 14 December 2020. It's 12 years after my second ablation in Bordeaux in 2007. I am so glad this forum is still active. 😀
December 08, 2020 12:04PM
Hello, Aldona! I just sent you a PM... I'm also glad the forum continues to function.
I'll be watching for your news after the procedure.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login