Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Choline as an AF trigger?

Choline as an AF trigger?
October 20, 2020 11:17AM
The n=1 nightmare of trying to figure out what else might be behind AF. For many years, I didn't eat eggs - just now and then. Then began eating them daily (1 or 2). After some time, developed AF. Eggs have a good amount of choline.

At this time I have a need to help do something to help my ATP and phosphagen cycle by adding choline as a supplement (CDP Choline) on days when I am fasting.

Anyone else notice or in hindsight suspect choline? Afibber forum search didn't show a single result.

But Pub-Med.....

Plasma Concentrations and Dietary Intakes of Choline and Betaine in Association With Atrial Fibrillation Risk: Results From 3 Prospective Cohorts With Different Health Profiles

[www.ahajournals.org]

Combinational Biomarkers for Atrial Fibrillation Derived from Atrial Appendage and Plasma Metabolomics Analysis

[www.nature.com]

Lastly a choline can be used to create AF in lab settings - Sustained atrial fibrillation was induced in 8 closed-chest sheep with burst pacing and continuous pericardial infusion of acetyl-β-methylcholine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 11:19AM by NotLyingAboutMyAfib.
Re: Choline as an AF trigger?
October 20, 2020 12:07PM
Trivia- eggs contain biotin.

When in AF my biotin levels were higher (past normal levels) because I love those egg whites you buy in cartons and I eat a lot of egg white veggies omelettes.

My GP does a lot of detective style lab work. I stopped eating eggs post ablation because of covid19/Whole Foods ran out for deliveries. Now they got them back so I am back on egg whites and am getting PAC’s and PVCs daily. I may eliminate my egg breakfast to see if it’s a coincidence.

I’m going to ask if a choline lab is available the next time I get labs. Good post NLAMA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 12:10PM by susan.d.
October 20, 2020 12:19PM
susan.d
My GP does a lot of detective style lab work. I stopped eating eggs post ablation because of covid19/Whole Foods ran out for deliveries. Now they got them back so I am back on egg whites and am getting PAC’s and PVCs daily. I may eliminate my egg breakfast to see if it’s a coincidence.

" In addition to these vitamins, eggs represent a major source of choline, which is essentially concentrated in the yolk (680 mg/100 g in the egg yolk versus 1 mg/100 g in the egg white) [30,53]. "
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov].

So may be the egg whites, but probably not the choline in your case, Susan.

FWIW, I commonly eat 5 eggs/day sometimes 10 or 12 without afib issue. For brain health, I want choline and have some genetics that indicate I need a higher intake for efficacy (test.)
October 20, 2020 12:20PM
Trace choline in egg whites. So you're good. Other than beef liver and eggs - most foods are rounding errors for choline. [ods.od.nih.gov]

Same here George - my SNPs indicated it could be an issue. I used prometheus and rhonda patrick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 12:24PM by NotLyingAboutMyAfib.
October 20, 2020 01:00PM
Years ago, there was a fellow from Australia who had good luck with the anti-cholinergic, propantheline bromide (PB ). Dr. James Reiffel was a proponent of this approach. "Although the literature does not contain prospective series contrasting drugs with different autonomic profiles in such patients, my own experience suggests that nocturnal paroxysmal AF can be totally or substantially limited by the pre-bedtime administration of either propantheline bromide (without an associated AAD) or controlled-release disopyramide without a repeat dose in the morning." Source "Selecting an Antiarrhythmic Agent for Atrial Fibrillation Should Be a Patient-Specific, Data-Driven Decision"

I went so far, in 2012, to fill a script for PB. I never took it, and as I looked into the dementia issues with anticholinergics, decided it was a poor choice for me.

Other links & threads:
[www.afibbers.org]
Thread: [www.afibbers.org]

PB search here: [www.afibbers.org]

As an aside, the original PB proponent recently contacted me privately and he quit that quite PB a few years ago and is using flec now.
October 20, 2020 01:22PM
So is it possible that high consumption of foods containing biotin/vitamin H (I.e. eggs) may trigger Arrhythmia as well as choline? I know for sure my biotin levels are elevated. NLAMA, you should get a biotin lab included in your next labs.

There is no cardiac mention except it mentions insulin resistance which is related to some with AF and is mentioned with sleep apnea which many folks with af have.
[www.webmd.com]

This is a great thread topic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 01:30PM by susan.d.
October 20, 2020 03:25PM
Just another topic that goes nowhere----I strongly believe in our DNA, my mother had AF, I think my grandmother did as well. My father had Graves disease (hyper thyroid), I had Graves as well, can't be just from what we eat, I eat well, I grow most of my veggies, berries and apples.
October 20, 2020 07:33PM
I agree Liz. Mother had af. She was luckier and got it late in life. In fact we both got af the day my brother was buried (stress) and were in adjacent hospital rooms. She had 15 years of it before her heart gave out from >150-180 steady hr
October 20, 2020 08:56PM
Susan:

Sorry about your brother and mother. You can stay in permanent AF without too much problems if your rate is low, your mom's rate at 150-180 is too high and probably caused Heart failure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login