Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Follow up on LAA ablation

Posted by Cevetello 
Follow up on LAA ablation
October 19, 2020 10:26AM
Hi all, I am coming up on the end of the three month blanking on October 28. I’m feeling really well. My LAA ablation with Dr Natales was on July 28. I am now in normal rhythm and off flecanide and it sure feels good. I continue to take Eliquis, and will be meeting again with Dr Natales in three months. My heart rate is unusually high for me, running between 85 and 95 most of the day.I was told to continue walking every day and to do some light exercising, and that might help bring it down some. I shot a few basketballs with my grandson’s yesterday and although I felt perfectly fine, my heart rate was pretty high at one point 135 but at rest it was 85. I keep in touch every Thursday with Trent, dr Natale’s nurse, and I send him a weekly ecg. So grateful to all the knowledgeable and helpful people on this forham including Shannon and Carey and others who offered advice and good wishes. I wish you all a steady and beautiful heartbeat.
Victoria
Re: Follow up on LAA ablation
October 19, 2020 11:33AM
That elevated heart rate is normal and to be expected following an ablation. Everyone experiences it. It will gradually come down but it will probably take months, possibly as long as a year. It's nothing to worry about, so keep up the walking and hoops!
October 19, 2020 11:33AM
I think you're in good company with that situation. Most people experience an elevated heart rate after ablation. I hear it can take a year to come down. I'm actually envious of you since my heart rate never increased and I'm in the minority as best I can tell. You are still very early on. No afib since the procedure is great news, and the fact that you feel great is excellent news. Your heart will heal over time. Take things as easy as you need to feel good and don't push much beyond. Listen to your body. That's my advice.
October 19, 2020 11:41AM
Carey
That elevated heart rate is normal and to be expected following an ablation. Everyone experiences it. It will gradually come down but it will probably take months, possibly as long as a year. It's nothing to worry about, so keep up the walking and hoops!

Not everyone. It troubles me when that is written/said. It is not an absolute, but I agree very common. My rate did not increase at all (not even five percent) including the day of/after the procedure. I went from having five afib episodes a month to none in ten months post ablation.
October 19, 2020 05:15PM
keeferbdeefer

Not everyone. It troubles me when that is written/said. It is not an absolute, but I agree very common. My rate did not increase at all (not even five percent) including the day of/after the procedure. I went from having five afib episodes a month to none in ten months post ablation.

You're the first person I've ever encountered who said they didn't experience this. Were you on beta blockers or diltiazem by any chance?
October 19, 2020 05:55PM
I was taking Flecainide immediately after but did not start taking Metropolol until the PACs got really annoying, couple months later. Members Libby and Sam have mentioned on my earliest posts "Recent ablation worries" that their respective heart rates did not go up. Member mwcf said his rose very little. It does seem rare, but not unheard of. I don't know their post op meds situations. My EP (when I asked him a couple weeks after the procedure) said it is not a given and not to worry about it.
October 19, 2020 06:45PM
Carey

You're the first person I've ever encountered who said they didn't experience this. Were you on beta blockers or diltiazem by any chance?

My HR is lower since my LAA ablation. 60s during the day. Sometimes 50s at night. No BB. Multaq can contribute somewhat in lowering it but I was on multaq pre ablation and had a higher hr.
October 19, 2020 09:03PM
Okay, so I'll quit saying it happens to everyone, but it does happen to the vast majority, and in any case it's nothing to worry about one way or another. It worries many people, and my point is that it's extremely common and there's no need to worry about it.
October 19, 2020 10:07PM
My first ablation it was 20-30 points higher-which is probably like the majority of us after an ablation. This second ablation is lower than when I was on a BB.
October 20, 2020 07:32PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. So appreciate it.
November 03, 2020 09:53AM
I recall that my hr was 10-15 points higher after my ablation with Dr. N. Now it tends low (high 50s, low 60s).

Lance
December 08, 2020 04:58AM
My heart rate did not increase at all after 2 ablations I had. I did not experience any PAC or PVC. The only med I had after ablation was one I used before I got sick with AF - Metoprolol. That was for blood pressure management. I was well after two of my ablations, both done at Bordeaux.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login