Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

supplements

Posted by bettylou4488 
supplements
September 28, 2020 01:00PM
I wrote this as a comment in an old thread.. I wasn't sure how they work or if they pop to the top but I don't think they do. I am going to post as a new one here.. just cutting and pasting. questions on supplements and stuff. (I am searching as well- these are the questions that came from that search.)

hey all- old post here. I hadn't had an episode in a very long time. I think part was that I got lazy on my Mg.. but I decided to spend a few bucks and do a follow up w/ Dr. Kahn on Tuesday. He is so great and has been answering my emails all weekend and called me when I went into Afib. He isn't my primary cardiologist as I have other congenital stuff and see an EP guy at uofMich... but I am trying to gather my questions.

So I mostly take Mg Glyciate.. but it seems like citrate is the better way to go?
So you can measure blood for potassium? (I should do that first?).
and I have had kidney stones. so should I be wary of over doing it? (not kidney function issues.).
How do you decide how much taurine to start? how do you know when you have enough?
And I have read on the group here some links that say too much vitamin D not great for Afib ? I wasn't taking that much in this last episode.. but because we had a recent potential exposure to the "rona (waiting test.. probably not but being safe).. I have been taking gobs this week.

I don't know if this will pop back up top b/c it is such and old post. LOL. if I don't get any responses I'll make a new post. thanks ya'll ..
Re: supplements
September 28, 2020 02:02PM
bettylou4488
So I mostly take Mg Glyciate.. but it seems like citrate is the better way to go?
Speaking from only my experience & we are all different.

Any magnesium works for me I have taken glycinate, chloride, bicarbonate, oxide, malate, acetate and so on. I take primarily di-magnesium malate that I get from an equine supplier as my bowel tolerance is very high and also some citrate (both powders). Glycinate is considered most bioavailable.

So you can measure blood for potassium? (I should do that first?).

Serum potassium can change rapidly over the day. Most afibbers want their serum level between 4 & 4.8. I would optimize magnesium first, then add potassium. I put potassium citrate powder (2 tsp, which is about 4 g elemental potassium) in a liter of water & drink it over the day. Scale the amount up slowly. If you have kidney issues, be careful about taking electrolytes. In normal kidneys, excess magnesium and potassium will get excreted quickly. If your kidneys have issues, these can concentrate and cause issues.

and I have had kidney stones. so should I be wary of over doing it? (not kidney function issues.).
I had kidney stones 20+ years ago and have been supplementing with magnesium and potassium for 16 years without negative issues. Potassium citrate will actually materially lower the possibility of new stones. You can read about this in the prescribing info for Urocit-K.

How do you decide how much taurine to start? how do you know when you have enough?
I've taken 2-4 g of taurine powder for years. Like everything, start small (500 mg) and work up and see how YOU react.

And I have read on the group here some links that say too much vitamin D not great for Afib ? I wasn't taking that much in this last episode.. but because we had a recent potential exposure to the "rona (waiting test.. probably not but being safe).. I have been taking gobs this week.

If you can get a 25-OHD test (serum vitamin d), a level in the 60-70 ng/mL is reasonable and physiologic. The data suggest that the amount of daily Vitamin D3 needed to get to this level is very individual. From a COVID perspective, I'd certainly want a level > 40 ng/mL. As PC, MD has posted, vitamin K2 (at least 100 mcg K2-MK7), magnesium & vitamin A, should be taken with D.

There are ways to order your own lab tests in the US. See [www.apoe4.info] New Century Labs uses Quest and seems to be the lowest cost, in my experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 04:07PM by GeorgeN.
September 28, 2020 03:06PM
George has probably got the best supplement advice out there. I follow it and it seems to give me more NSR more often in my blanking period state (in 5th week)
September 29, 2020 06:59PM
Many thanks George.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login