Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin D and LAF

Posted by PC, MD 
Vitamin D and LAF
September 23, 2020 05:08PM
I've been all over the waterfront on this. At first I posted that perhaps too much Vitamin D was bad for LAF. Then years later I reversed to the opposite view. Now I think that it depends on your biological individuality and how your physiology handles Ca.
Here's an article that proposes D deficiency is the villain.
The relationship between vitamin D and risk of atrial fibrillation: a dose-response analysis of observational studies.
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Here's another that proposes excess D to be the villain.
New study links excessive amounts of vitamin D to onset of atrial fibrillation
[www.eurekalert.org]
Excess vitamin D leads to increased calcium absorption.
Steve Carr has had great success by strictly limiting dietary Ca.
Given the burgeoning emphasis on vitamin D supplementation during this era of COVID-19, I thought it wise to underscore the role of Mg (and K2, omega 3s) in regulating Vitamin D.
Please read my post on this in the General Forum here
Re: Vitamin D and LAF
September 23, 2020 07:38PM
Great review of vitamin D, thanks. Your second link states,
" In patients with low, low-normal, normal and high-normal levels of vitamin D there was no increased risk of atrial fibrillation. However, in those with excess levels of vitamin D there was a significant increased risk of atrial fibrillation."
The paper defines excess levels as greater than 100ng/dl !!!

I did an experiment this summer, I spent most days out in the sun for at least an hour without sunscreen. My skin seems to do a very good job of regulating such that I don't burn at my current latitude (Baltimore). This must be the same latitudes my ancestors lived.
I had my vitamin D levels checked and I am at 58 ng/dl. So for me 100ng/dl would be impossible to achieve naturally without supplementation.
September 23, 2020 10:44PM
MikeN
I had my vitamin D levels checked and I am at 58 ng/dl. So for me 100ng/dl would be impossible to achieve naturally without supplementation.

Dr. Mercola lives on the FL coast and does hour walks daily in shorts on the beach in the middle of the day. He's said he's not taken supplemental D for 10 years and his runs 70 ng/dL. I do supplement and spend time at elevation wearing only shorts for hours at a time. Did it for 6 hours last Thursday and two yesterday and today at 8,000'. My normal level is around 100 ng/dL and I've run mine up over 150 with no negative or afib consequences. My doc wants me around 100 and is happy if I'm much higher. With high 25OHD levels and high melatonin intake (>200 mg/day), I don't burn or even turn any shade. I'm mildly tan. My dermatologist thinks my skin looks fantastic. I tell him I do the opposite of what his profession recommends (I don't recommend others do this without knowing what you are doing, I spend a lot of time researching what I do). I think 60 or 70 should not be controversial.

{edit - I should note, I consume lots of Mg (>3g/day), K2 (500 mcg K2 MK7 & 25 g MK4), omega 3s (>5g/day)}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 10:48AM by GeorgeN.
September 24, 2020 03:21AM
IMO, there are SO MANY THINGS able to play their role in the onset of AF, that it's really difficult to test one of those things in isolation.
Above that, most of those things are highly individual, which means that even if someone succeeds reliably testing one of them for one's self (say : high D-vitamin levels always lead to AFib), it does not mean the effect would be the same for any afibber.
September 24, 2020 11:20AM
Thank you, George

Hi Pompon,

You are ABSOLUTELY correct.

LAF is highly complex. My post might help a few with the same flavor as mine.

But remember Vitamin D and Mg are about more than just LAF, esp now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 02:25PM by PC, MD.
September 24, 2020 11:22AM
And thank you, Mike, for the feedback
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login