Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The amount of nattokinase in natto

Posted by colindo 
The amount of nattokinase in natto
August 02, 2020 08:41PM
The recommended amount of Nattokinase is more than 2,000FU/ day.
The Nattokinase activity level in natto commercially available varies from 1,400 FU/ pack (50g) to 2,000FU/ pack as Figure 7 shows.
[j-nattokinase.org]
These people should know, they make it.
Re: The amount of nattokinase in natto
August 02, 2020 09:51PM
Colindo - that's FU (Fibrin Degradation Unit) being used and not IU as I referenced in other threads.

FU standardized at ~ 1 gm = 20,000 FUs

[vitanetonline.com]

Companies that manufacture nattokinase supplements express its activity in terms of "FU" or fibrin units. This is entirely different from the IU measurement since it only indicates nattokinase activity base on the degradation of fibrin. But as of today, IU is being officially adopted by the Japanese when measuring nattokinase. The FU method doesn't have exact measure of nattokinase activity and is suspected to be erroneous. Because of that, IU standard is being used to accurately measure nattokinase.

This product also discusses IU and FU in some detail

[www.purerxo.com]

CK utilizes a new standardization for fibrinolytic activity which is more sensitive and specific to nattokinase activity. Originally, the Fibrin Unit (FU) method was created for the sake of convenience. Because fibrin, which is insoluble in water, is used as the substrate, accurate measurement of the enzyme reaction is not possible through this method. Therefore, to accurately measure the potency of CK, International Units (IU) are required to quantify the results of the enzyme activity.

tests have been performed comparing 100 mg (25 IU) of Cardiokinase to older forms of Nattokinase: 25 IU = 2500 FU. Typical nattokinase has only 2000 FU/100 mg, ( 1gm = 20,000 FU)
August 02, 2020 09:57PM
Colindo - that's a good source for seeing if the natto we're buying is actually natto...

[j-nattokinase.org]

I intend to look this week when I go to buy my duck eggs.
August 02, 2020 10:16PM
The 50 g being referenced by colindo was the weight of the natto packet, in which there is 1,400-2,000 FU nattokinase. My 56 g frozen natto packet says it's "2 servings". So I just had 1/2 this morning - about 28 g of natto. So I may only have gotten 700 FU nattokinase from that. So it looks to me like I would need to supplement with nattokinase if I actually want to reach 2000 FU daily. I am still working this out. It's a learning curve.

Also that article link of colindo's says best time to take nattokinase is evening/bedtime for clot-protection. and no one wants to eat natto before bed.

I may try to do both natto and nattokinase for a bit. but if the regimen becomes too complicated and fiddly, i know i will bail. i need to keep it pretty simple to stick with it.
August 03, 2020 08:51AM
It's hard to know what you're really getting from one maker to the next, one batch to the next. For people that don't have a problem with the clotting and stroke risks that AF do, natto may not either help or hurt when it comes to fibrin. If it helps a little at a time, like CAC regression in helping fetuin-a, martix GLA et al, loosen up macrophage, foamcell and other gunk then that is a plus.

For those with AF and a high CHADS score (mine is 1) - the clot risks are too high - on something with such high costs for failure I am sticking with eliquis as long as there are no side effects.

I am risk averse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login