Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

After the ablation - life as normal or NSR tightrope?

After the ablation - life as normal or NSR tightrope?
July 22, 2020 01:54PM
In general, after a successful ablation can one go about life (drink caffeine, have a scotch or brandy, participate in competitive sports, etc) normally or do they have to continue to balance themselves on the NSR tightrope?

Thanks in advance.
Ken
Re: After the ablation - life as normal or NSR tightrope?
July 22, 2020 02:35PM
It may vary from one case to another, but I went back to normal, quickly after my first ablation 13 years ago and after my last one in January. Basically took a month off and then back to windsurfing, golf, scuba diving, snow skiing, weight workouts, swimming, jogging (after the first, but now a new hip stopped that). I drink coffee and wine daily, but never to excess.

It did take about a year for my heart to recover to what I consider normal. I reached my aerobic threshold more quickly following the first ablation and now again I see the same thing after the second. I do take magnesium, potassium and taurine to keep ectopics at bay.
July 22, 2020 04:07PM
Ken
I do take magnesium, potassium and taurine to keep ectopics at bay.

May I ask you how much magnesium, potassium and taurine you take daily? And whether you dose throughout day or take it all at once? I realize it's not one-size-fits all. I won't go off and replicate your regimen without further study. But I am trying to get a handle on all this. And figuring out dosages is part of that. Thanks! (Sorry to hijack thread topic.)

kim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 04:49PM by PoetKim.
July 22, 2020 05:56PM
Genetic disposition will determine if it’s successful it plus an excellent EP
Ken
July 23, 2020 03:26PM
PoetKim,

What I take is by no means the right answer. Many on this site take more in a variety of ways. So far, this has worked for me, but I still get ectopics. It's not as effective at stopping the ectopics after my second ablation, but worked really well for several years after my first ablation. But afib still came back after being 13 years afib free.

Potassium powdered 1 teaspoon dissolved in OJ = 540 mg in the morning. I also eat a banana.
Taurine - 1000 mg once a day in the morning.
Magnesium - 200 mg in morning. 400 mg in the early afternoon. 200 mg before bed.
July 23, 2020 04:50PM
Thank you Ken! That's very helpful. smiling smiley
July 24, 2020 03:24AM
Ken
PoetKim,

What I take is by no means the right answer. Many on this site take more in a variety of ways. So far, this has worked for me, but I still get ectopics. It's not as effective at stopping the ectopics after my second ablation, but worked really well for several years after my first ablation. But afib still came back after being 13 years afib free.

Potassium powdered 1 teaspoon dissolved in OJ = 540 mg in the morning. I also eat a banana.
Taurine - 1000 mg once a day in the morning.
Magnesium - 200 mg in morning. 400 mg in the early afternoon. 200 mg before bed.

I've never felt good taking potassium. It seems "too much" for me. I likely eat enough green vegetables and fruits. Excess potassium may be dangerous, I think.
I'm taking taurine and magnesium. I don't know if it's effective for me, but at least it's harmless.
Do you take 800mg magnesium element?
July 24, 2020 08:47AM
Pompon
Excess potassium may be dangerous, I think.

Depends on your kidney function. Well functioning kidneys will urinate any excess potassium. If you have kidney disfunction, then potassium and high serum levels can indeed be dangerous.

I don't have a cite at the moment, but my understanding for supplements is the citrate form is much preferred to the chloride form, especially if there are any kidney issues.

I take 4 g potassium elemental as potassium citrate daily. I put it in a liter water and drink it over the day, my version of "timed release." As Carey has previously noted from his Cardymeter saliva testing, if you take a bolus of potassium, it will be quickly urinated out in a healthy person.

My understanding of high glycemic foods that have potassium is that the glycemic spike will also cause urination of potassium.
July 25, 2020 01:35PM
Well when they give Potassium to kill convicted killers, I guess it isn't quickly urinated fast enough, couldn't help it. My pot. level is always on the high end of the lab scale, I don't take any extra Pot, I did some years ago and it gave me lots of palps and gave me some runs of AF, when I quit the Pot. that all stopped. I think we get enough Pot from food.
Ken
July 25, 2020 01:52PM
While I supplement with potassium about about 540 mg a day, my blood work shows it right in the middle of the normal range. Certainly not overdoing it.
July 25, 2020 04:21PM
Elizabeth
Well when they give Potassium to kill convicted killers, I guess it isn't quickly urinated fast enough, couldn't help it.

Ha ha ha.

The IV dose of KCl for lethal injection is 100 meq. This is 7.5 grams. I've taken than much & more orally without issue. Doing it IV makes an enormous difference. Not that I'm suggesting folks take that much and whatever they do take should be spread out. If your serum levels are already high, then taking more is not appropriate.
July 27, 2020 08:25AM
I've been looking into the issues with stomach acid and ph and what happens to many supplements that we are sold and take. Far too often they are destroyed before ever getting where they will do any good. Even the enteric capsules have a set of issues in how they will respond once popped into the unknown. Ugh.... still learning.
July 27, 2020 10:05PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
I've been looking into the issues with stomach acid and ph and what happens to many supplements that we are sold and take. Far too often they are destroyed before ever getting where they will do any good. Even the enteric capsules have a set of issues in how they will respond once popped into the unknown. Ugh.... still learning.

Do you think it would be better to open up the gel caps these supplements come in and dissolve them directly in water or OJ and drink them? I have been wanting to try so I am not putting unnecessary objects (capsules) into my body every day. Wasn't sure what effect it might have. Maybe the gel cap is necessary for best absorption so it clears the stomach before starting to break down. For me right now it would just be Magnesium and K2 that I am taking as powder in capsules. My other supps are oil-based - D3 and Co-Q10.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login