Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib and Stroke Risk- New Study

Posted by Islandluvr 
Afib and Stroke Risk- New Study
July 04, 2020 01:29AM
Am I reading this correctly? This study finds that if you have afib, but no other heart problems you are NOT at increased risk of stroke? [www.healio.com]
Ken
Re: Afib and Stroke Risk- New Study
July 04, 2020 08:27AM
One has to wonder if the group with afib were receiving any treatment (blood thinners, rate control, etc.). If none were receiving treatment, that would have been highly unusual. More information is needed before assuming any credibility in the study.
July 04, 2020 11:41AM
Has the aspirin and warfarin data on this page (Table 1)
[www.ahajournals.org][/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 11:43AM by Leo J.
July 07, 2020 03:25PM
My doctor at the Cleveland Clinic has said this for years. I am 56 years old....I get occasional episodes of afib...around 1-3 hours and they always convert on their own, and I am NOT on blood thinners. I am not overweight, exercise regularly, no diabetes, no high blood pressure and no other heart issues. If I had any of these other issues, then I might need the thinners.
July 07, 2020 04:05PM
I had AF for almost 20 years, in the beginning not too many in a year, than over the years they were a little more, once a month or every 2 months, I always went back to NSR after being in AF for anywhere from 12 to 20 hours. I took an antiarhythmic drug during most of that time, but I never took any blood thinners. I take a blood thinner now because I went into AF in Nov. of last year and am still in it. My EP knew I didn't take any blood thinners during that time but said to take aspirin which I did most of the time. What ever happens to me now is one thing but I had no issues during those 20 years.
July 08, 2020 05:10PM
Islandluvr
Am I reading this correctly? This study finds that if you have afib, but no other heart problems you are NOT at increased risk of stroke? htts://www.healio.com/news/cardiology/20200609/af-without-other-cv-comorbidities-confers-no-elevated-risk-for-stroke

Yes, some of us knew that 10 years ago. If you are a lone-Afibber you have the same risk of stroke as the general public.
July 16, 2020 12:06AM
Thanks for the post, Island.

/L
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login