Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baking soda & water

Posted by Robert A. 
Robert A.
Baking soda & water
November 09, 2003 10:50PM
Has anyone else ever tried baking soda and water to stop an attack of afib? I had been in afib for nearly 12 hrs. It started at about 2 pm sunday. I woke last night at around 1:30 am still in afib. The idea of trying baking soda and water came to me. I put about 3/4's teaspoon in a glass of luke warm water and drank it. The afib was gone within 10 minutes. Maybe coincinence? I don't know. I'll try it next time and see.
Pam
Re: Baking soda & water
November 09, 2003 11:27PM
Robert:

How interesting. Be sure to post your results next time!! How long do we have to wait??!!?? Ha

Be well, Robert,
Pam
kestra
November 10, 2003 04:04AM
This is so interesting! My guess is that if your afib is vagal and triggered by excess gas and bloating, taking the baking soda probably relieved a whole bunch of gas and took pressure off your vagus nerve! Did you have a huge burp after drinking the baking soda water?

I have often stopped PACs by burping myself when bloated. For me, all I have to do is pat my tummy and I belch until the gas is mostly gone and my stomach has gone down some.

k
Robert A.
November 10, 2003 05:34AM
Kestra,

No, I wasn't bloated at all. No gas symtoms. My stomach was empty as far as I know. I hadn't eaten any thing for 6 hours. I consider my problem to be both vagal and adrenergic LAF. Leaning toward vagal.

Robert A.
November 10, 2003 10:39AM
Robert A. - I have long theorized that a contributor to afib was an acidic condition - acidosis. My experiments to keep my pH as close to neutral or slightly on the alkaline side have proven over and again that I stay out of afib.

I have a friend with afib who can convert himself by taking both baking soda, salt and magnesium citrate in warm water and sipping it. It seems to work for him.

Now that I take so much magnesium, I am very alkaline and of course, I always eat with a balance between acid-ash forming foods and alkaline-forming foods with emphasis on the alkaline - vegetables and small amounts of fruit.

Your successful experiment is just more verification that an acidic system is not healthy for a number of reasons.

Good for you. I hope it works every time you need it to.

Jackie
sami
November 10, 2003 02:52PM
Jackie it seems that there is a relation between blood PH and atrail fibrillation. Has anyone experienced taking aspirin and quiting to notice it's effect on atfib.

Sami
Debbi
November 10, 2003 05:20PM
My dad has been drinking baking soda and water for years, way before acid reducers came on the market..........still does.
njb
November 11, 2003 01:33AM
Once when I was in hospital in telemetry unit a guy down the hall puked and his afib stopped. The doctor on call joked something like "puking, eh? A new cure for afib." ( But they weren't recommending it.)

njb
J. Pisano
November 11, 2003 02:24AM
I am certainly going to try this next time. I definitely have a connection between my stomach and the afib.

Joe
Carol
November 11, 2003 07:50AM
I always experience a fluttery, irritated (pinched nerve ) feeling in the area of my stomach (right under my rib cage) just before the PVC's or Afib begin. Either the vagus nerve is stimulating my stomach and the heart OR the stomach is stimulating the vagus nerve and heart . This is always about fifteen to twenty minutes after lieing down at night. Never in the day.

Carol
Carol
November 11, 2003 07:51AM
Correction! "LYING" down at night. Whew, what has happened to my spelling.
Carol
sami
November 11, 2003 04:46PM
Carol what I noticed on the bulletin board is the interesting discovery that atrial fibrillation possibly through minor showers of emboli to the speech centers in the brain is the cause of this misspelling phenomina, which is not intentional but pathological (call it pathology of speech and spelling).
Read this:
: Stroke. 1985 May-Jun;16(3):441-3. Related Articles, Links

Isolation of speech area from focal brain ischemia.

Bogousslavsky J, Regli F, Assal G.

A patient with atrial fibrillation and internal carotid artery occlusion developed mixed transcortical aphasia. The CT scan showed two recent distinct infarcts in the dominant hemisphere, one in the precentral artery area (pial artery infarct) and one in the borderzone area between the posterior and middle cerebral arteries territories (watershed infarct). The perisylvian speech areas were spared, but probably disconnected from other areas by the infarcts. The syndrome of isolation of speech area may be caused by vascular conditions which are able to produce simultaneous pial artery and watershed infarcts, and is not necessarily related to more extensive processes of the brain.

PMID: 4002257 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login