Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Could fasting stop AF ? Anyone try it?

Could fasting stop AF ? Anyone try it?
May 10, 2020 10:27PM
I've ridden my bike at the same level of effort, speed, wind effects etc in both AF and NSR. My HR is 20-30 BPM higher in AF when under load. In fact I found it difficult (perceived effort) to get my NSR HR as high as AF HR.

A heart in NSR is more efficient than one in AF. Under what conditions does efficient heart rhythm become necessary?

A theory: Is it possible an extended fast could cause the heart to go back into NSR?
(not saying starvation or electrolyte, mineral or vitamin deficiencies or imbalances but just well controlled fasting)

Could there be a gene that switches on and regulates heartrate to be more efficient similar to the way miR-149-3p works to switch to visceral fat burning (more efficient) under extended fasts (aka autophagy) ?

Not too crazy of an idea -

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

"induction of autophagy has a cardioprotective effect against cardiac lipotoxicity in chronic AF"

But not found here

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Joe
Re: Could fasting stop AF ? Anyone try it?
May 11, 2020 12:03AM
Very interesting NLAMA! Can't see any downsides trying it out providing you keep up with electrolytes?
I've done a 70 hr fast while not in AF but stopped because i felt my heartbeats felt a bit 'unstable'. My BMI is low 20 - 22.
May 11, 2020 07:16AM
50% plus of afib triggers are stress related. That's physical or emotional stress.
Give up the bike ridding for a while and take some Lorazepam to calm yourself down and see if that brings you back into NSR.

Other than that, Carey and GeorgeN have told you what to do in your previous post.
"Tikosyn is probably your best bet."
May 11, 2020 08:24AM
I'm giving it a try. The worst that could happen is I lose some pericardial fat (a contributor to AF), have some autophagy creates some new healthy cells, and I lose some visceral and sub q fat.

For me, fasting isn't stressful and nor is moderate physical activity (I do specific workouts for collateralization).

Joe - did you do anything to ensure your minerals, electrolytes etc stayed in balance.
May 11, 2020 08:44AM
My friend, Tom Seest, posted in this thread, after my post. Tom didn't convert with fasting, but he did reverse his LEVF from 27% to 53%. See the graph about his BNP. If you want, I can put you in contact with Tom.
May 11, 2020 12:18PM
Hell yes!

I'll send a PM
May 11, 2020 12:33PM
George - BNPs at hospital during event # 1

BNPs of 168 and 192. (high and OOR!) This is definitely a place to explore.

Will follow through

Thanks
Joe
May 11, 2020 10:09PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
I'm giving it a try. The worst that could happen is I lose some pericardial fat (a contributor to AF), have some autophagy creates some new healthy cells, and I lose some visceral and sub q fat.

For me, fasting isn't stressful and nor is moderate physical activity (I do specific workouts for collateralization).

Joe - did you do anything to ensure your minerals, electrolytes etc stayed in balance.

Just pink salt, potassium and Mg added to my distilled drinking water . Distilled drinking water because my TSH is a bit high and our water supply is medicated with fluoride.
May 12, 2020 07:54AM
Joe - I can and will do that. I have some pink himalayan salt as well as Redmans
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login